Scariest thing happened to me today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DRBLawnBuster, Mar 21, 2009.

1. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster LawnSite Senior Member

So me and my dad were going to pick up my walkbehind from storage today and on theway to pick it up we had some problems on the high way. We were pulling my 6' by 14' landscape trailer with my dads 2500 dodge and all of the sudden we heard this noise and we looked out the mirror and there was my trailer rolling across 4 lanes of high way and it hit the middle wall and sparks went flying. We pulled off to the left berm and my trailer went for about 100 feet just riding the middle wall with sparks flying. I think every swear word possible was said by me or my dad.Thank god there was no cars within 100 feet of us. After the cars passed we pulled over to the high speed lane and dragged it over to the left berm. We found that it ripped the safety chains off the trailer and the part that locks the ball on the bolt that was in there fell out and it must have been enough to wiggle it up which caused it to pop off. Suprisiing there was no damage except for some paint that was scrapped off and the angle iron that comes up from the trailer was maybe bent half of and inch in one place. But no one was hurt and my trailer is fine thank god it was empty other wise who knows what coulda happened.

2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Dam your LUCKY it hit no one!! Oh well, what did get damaged can be fixed easily.

3. DRBLawnBuster

It doesnt even half to be fixed if you saw it you would under stand but i have really no way to explain it.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Let this be a lesson to everyone, inspect your trailers before hitting the road.

5. DRBLawnBuster

yes and dont use a bolt with a nut cause the nut vibrates lose.

6. Fox Lawn & Garden

Fox Lawn & Garden LawnSite Member

You're real lucky DRB.
    Not sure what part you're referring to. My ball/bolt is all one piece, fastened at the bottom by a nut.
    That happened over here in Pittsburgh a year or so ago with a wood chipper. It smashed up a car and killed one person. Cops and DOT were ALL over THAT story for some time. can you think: Scrutinize???
    I'd go kiss something if I was you!
    Have a safer tommorrow! And a good season.

7. DRBLawnBuster

Fox lawn and garden it is really hard to explain how mine is, but all i could think of was if this trailer hits the wall and pops back out into traffic then im screwed and man talk about a weird feeling it was horrible.

8. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Thats scary, imagine if there was a lot of traffic.
    A buddy of mine lost a trailer with a tractor on it on I-95 about 10 yrs ago. He said he looked in the side view mirror and the trailer was cruising down the rd in the lane next to him. Similar situation though, it just road over to the center.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

dont be dumb go buy one of these and be done with it, glad everything turned out ok
    [​IMG]

10. tiggazee

tiggazee LawnSite Member

you know you forgot to secure it