scat trak 1300HD rattle??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by progmc95, Jul 2, 2008.

1. progmc95

progmc95 LawnSite Member

I have a late 80s scat trak 1300hd that started to make a rattle noise. It does it when i move forward or reverse and sometimes does it when its just sitting idle. It started getting worse when I was pulling a rotten stump. Its like a loud clicking/rattle noise sounds like its comming under the foot controls or mabe a little back. Any ideas? thanks

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Check the chains from the drive motors.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That was my thought until he said it did it at idle. Maybe a motor mount or pump mount

4. progmc95

progmc95 LawnSite Member

It does it at idle only if its sitting just right then it will make the noise. I dont know much about these machines but im trying to learn. It almost sounds like a atv when the chain is slipping on the sprocket. When I hit a bump with it and start to bounce a bit then it also makes the noise louder. How do I check the drive chains? Are they under the cover on the side behind the wheels? Sorry like I said im new at this and want to try to fix it with out the costs of a shop. thanks again everyone

5. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

oh god if you dont know how to adjust the chains the sprockets are probaly stuffed.

6. progmc95

progmc95 LawnSite Member

Ive only had it for about a month or so I was never told how to do this. What do you mean by sprockets stuffed? How do I adjust the chain. thanks

7. Ausman

Ausman LawnSite Senior Member

there will be some sort of adjusting mechanism like a threaded bolt and lock nut on your axle housing or in the chain cases.

You should have a way of looking in the chain cases.

8. progmc95

progmc95 LawnSite Member

You think that the chain could just be loose or you think I broke something in there. It still runs and operates like normal but just makes that noise. The only way I see to look in there is to take the tires off and drain the fluid, then take the side covers off. does this sound right. thanks

9. arcman

arcman LawnSite Member

I have the same unit and a similar sound. It's not the drive chains. I inspected mine and found a broken drive chain idler bolt, replaced it (along with thrust washers) and the noise is still there. I'm sure it's coming from the drive pump or drive(travel) motors. Mine makes a nasty growling noise when the buckets filled up and you get bouncing around. Whenever the wheels load and unload from forward motion it sounds awful.

You can inspect the chains by removing the large panel between the wheels. If I remember right the oil level will be below the panel hole. The manual says to drain it first. Put a floor jack under the cab between the wheels and lift it up. The chain adjusters are next to your knees in the cab. Loosen the three bolts and tighten the adjuster. Be sure to not get it too tight. Look inside the access panel and rock the wheels, checking for free play.

Good luck.

Arcman

10. progmc95

progmc95 LawnSite Member

I found out what it was, I had a broken motor mount bolt. When the motor was moving around there was something rubbing. Put a new bolt in and checked all the others and been good since. Make sure all of yours are tight too. I think someone here told me to check them so thanks