Schedule 80 Versus Schedule 40

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, May 20, 2013.

1. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I intend to start using Sch 80 TOE nipples for both the suction and discharge lines out of above ground irrigation pumps. Can I use Sch 40 slip x slip couplings to transition from 80 to 40 or should I use Sch 80 couplings as well?

Thanks / Regards,

Mex

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Don't use PVC on the suction side, or either side, really. Metal takes heat better than will plastic.

3. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Boots,

My problems have come primarily from Sch 40 Male Adapter failures. Are you suggesting that I use a galvanized nipple out of the pump, then a galvanized threaded coupling, and then a Sch 80 TOE nipple?

Thanks for your willingness to share!!!!

Mex

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Everything attached directly to the pump should be galvanized. If you want to skimp some, which I wouldn't suggest, skimp on the intake, not the outflow of the pump. Using PVC on the outflow side of the pump will fail.

About a 12" galvanized nipple should be fine, and then you can go to whatever Sch or Class of PVC you'd like. Just need to get rid of the heat first.

5. Wet_Boots

Since I never used foot valves, it was an easy call to spec a short galvanized nipple on the suction side, with a spring check valve leading into it.

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used both galvanized and sch 80 for intake and output. No problems with either option.

7. Wet_Boots

There are issues for some folks with suction leaks where plastic threads into the pump.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Use brass
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

correctomundo

10. Wet_Boots

Brass is most correct, but galvanized isn't a horrible second choice. Since I sometimes included a large ViewFlo strainer on the outlet, I would have a 12 or 18 inch pipe coming up from the pump case, and it had to be metal, for the support I wanted for the strainer.