schedule for service of lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHINES60, Nov 5, 2002.

1. CHINES60

CHINES60 LawnSite Member
    from 38017

I need some more info., PLEASE. What is the correct way to cut and manicure lawns in today's market? Do you edge first, then blow and the cut and weedeat last? Sure hope someone sheds light before spring.

Good Luck:dizzy:
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no "correct" way so to speak. Whatever works for you. Actually every property is a little different in some respects. Although I think most will agree, blowing is done at the end to make sure no clippings are on surfaces they shouldn't be. If you edge first and it's not too big of a mess (like it hasn't been edged for two years or something) I blow that into the lawn before cutting. If it's a big mess I'll haul the debris away.

Really, whatever routine works efficiently and professionally is acceptable. We'll all have our own theories and opinions on this. Also, it's been discussed before and you could search the archives for some discussions. :)
  3. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

I do all my open area cutting first then trim and edge, and blow just before packing up. You could edge first but I've found that debris from edging will be packed by your tractor or your feet and it makes blowing those areas more difficult to clean up. After all the idea is to leave it better than the way we found it.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Cut, edge/trim, that order.
  5. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Personaly I blow,trim, cut ,then edge then blow again I trim first because it looks cleaner after you mow over the clipings that your trimmer has left.But every body does it different.;)
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually blow, trim, blow, edge, mow, and finally blow again. :p :D
  7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

trim and edge, mow, blow, then get the dough!
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It depends with me depending on the site. But I like to mow the perimeter, around objects. Then tirm, edge, mow. This way even what I trim gets chopped up too.

I have little use for a blower as I don't make much of a mess in the 1st place. Alot of times I use the wind off the trimmer or the deck to blow of what little mess I make. But I always make sure everything is clean before I leave.
  9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Man, you sure do know how to blow.:D
  10. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I mow, trim/edge, then blow,
    except if it's a first cut or other situation where the grass is excessively overgrown...
    In which case I trim first so that the heavy clippings will be mulched by mowing.. then mow, trim anything missed, then blow...