scheduling a full week..?..specifically mon, and tues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leafitalawn, Jun 6, 2006.

1. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I am growing my mow and blow, and only have one crew right now. I would like to have them mow more than just 3 days a week (Wed-Fri). How do you get your maintenance customers to be OK with Monday, and Tuesday cuts? I was thinking of making these days for my e/o week customers.

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

3. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I cut my commercial and businesses on Mon. and Tues so it looks good for the week.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That is exactly what we try and do. In addition, we look to reserve Mon. and Tues for landscape jobs. However, we do have afew res. customers that on a typical week will be done on Monday or Tuesday.

5. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

Thanks all, that's kind of what I figured. It just sucks for me I guess...I have very tight routes. So, I'll be making the same trip several times a week then, thus lowering my hourly $$. I also only have one comercial account. I guess that I'll have to get more. I just really prefer residential.

Thanks

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let your customers pick their days. You put them on your schedule where they will fit in. If they request a wed -fri, tell them those days are full, but you can fit them in on mon.

7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

We mow 12-hr days Weds-Fri. Tues we have bi-weekly's. Sat and Monday are for small jobs, and Sunday.. God willing, is our day off. But God hasn't been very willing over the past month =(

I have had the typical request for which day the homeowner wants their lawn cut on. The only reponse you can give them is "I'll have to check my routes and I'll fit you in the best place I can."

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's it.... put them on the schedule when you're in the area, not when they think they'd like to be maintained.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To me, weekly and eow are hardly the only two possible choices when cutting grass, I can see why some guys have so much trouble keeping grass looking nice when they're almost always cutting too frequently or not often enough...

I use 8-10 and 10-12 day grass-cutting schedules as an example, check it out...
    All of my lawns go on a per-lawn schedule, meaning it depends on the lawn, the available schedules are:
    Weekly, 8 days, 8-10, 10-12, 12-14, 14+, then 2-3 weeks, 3 weeks and 4 weeks.

As the year progresses, grass grows slower, so a lawn that was on an 8 day schedule is moved to 8-10 and later 10-12...
    Most of mine are closing on 2 weeks but 10-12 and 12-14 is not quite 2 weeks yet, thou some are on 14 days.

It's per yard, no specific schedule fits all, each yard has its own schedule, the lusher lawns more frequently, the average ones less.
    As for scheduling, I make a simple mark by their name, and this mark is a number which of course is 8 or 10-12, etc ...
    It might read:
    Smith 8
    Jones 10-12
    Washington 10-12
    etc, etc...
    So then I know at a glance which lawn gets what, and if I arrive at a house and it's not grown at all, I look at the schedule and see it is on 8-10, move it to 10-12 and separately, if it's overgrown and it's a 10-12 number by their name, I change it to 8-10.
    This way, I prevent myself from burning a lawn by cutting it too much and also the pita problem of it being overgrown is fixed.

So then whatever day the cut falls on, sometimes monday, sometimes friday, whatever.

10. JFizzle

JFizzle LawnSite Member

that sounds like a good way to go! - the separate schedules. does that mean your backtracking a lot or are most of yours grouped so you can just hit another lawn if one doesnt need it. even then, i guess you would still have to come back in 2-4 days. does it make billing difficult?