Scheduling drip zones

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ArTurf, May 24, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I haven't done much drip so I need some advice. I am going to try Netafim .6 on 12" spacing. How long would you run the zones and would you space them out into 2 start times to give time for soak in? Working on clay.

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

U can calculate the rate to get the time needed.i usually run them for 45min to 1.5hr depending on soil, environment,etc and emitter
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Netafim has a chart that answers the question. The thing you've got to figure is the root depth of the plant material, young and mature.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

What he said too
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Buy a 36" moisture sensor, they're under a $100.00.

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

.6gph on 12" spacing is about .9"/hr. Infiltration rate on pure clay is about .18"/hr.

You need to cycle and soak if you don't want any runoff. If it's in a bed with mulch on top, you can fudge a little since the mulch will absorb a fair amount of water before it can run off. Technically correct would be run 10m, soak 50m, repeat until you've applied what you want to.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

A "pure" clay could have a steady state infiltration rate of 0.04 in/hr or lower. The range for a clayey soil is 0.04-0.20 in/hr without consideration for structure or organic matter.

There is no technically correct cycle and soak, it is site dependent. Maximum suggested PR rates on clayey soils range 0.2-0.06 in/hr depending on slope, but again correct times for cycle and soak are site dependent. The goal is to avoid ponding and runoff.