Scheduling efficiency

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Oct 16, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I know I won't be able to do much until next winterizing season but I drove almost 100miles the other day winterizing.... even going 60mph that's over an hour and a half wasted in the car!

I just scheduled 9 neighbors in a row.... I gave them a good deal but I'll still make a lot more since I don't even have to move the truck for a couple of these yards...

Does anyone schedule all your customers before they call and send them something telling them you'll be here this day and they should be ready?

Now that we are getting more customers than we have days for we need to get more efficient... any suggestions?

... and don't forget to step on those 12'' mist heads when you blow them out... if they are side mounted the bottom half of the head will still be full of water and crack over the winter if you don't push the stem down to get that water out...

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I think the idea is great but not really feasible depending on the size of the company. This time of the year we usually pick up an extra 5-10 per week from unhappy customers of the largest company in the area. They are booking 4-5 weeks out. And they run 7 trucks, so I am figuring that they shut down a 100 or so a day x 7 days x 8 weeks.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Outfit I used to work for marketed and tried to patent a thing the just called "the plug". It was a 15 conductor female conector they installed through the wall. The connector mirrored 12 stations, common, MV, and power. You walked up to the house, unscrewed the cap and plugged in a seperate controller with a male connector attached to it. We used a remote unit, but when things got busy in the spring or fall, I often used just a 12 station controller with a test program. We had a lot of side by side jobs and I would hook up air, connect the controller and hit a manual cycle of 2 min/ station. While it ran through a first trip, I would run the previous house, visually watching each station for a 1 min or less trip to be sure things were purged, disconnect and move on. In a good route, I could do 30 of these a day. Only problem was we didn't have but two or three days like that we could route. BUT, this setup let me get 20/ day on a regular basis and the customer doesn't have to be home. IF you get there and the power wire is dead, I used to run an indoor transformer off of an inverter and a battery pack into the remote clock and I still winterized the system.

4. Broker

The plug? Is it similar to the Hunter set up for remotes? Do you guys prefer winterizing from the timers or from the valves if the valves are easy to access?

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds more like the connector that comes with a Sidekick remote operating kit, or one of the water-meter-reading connectors. I like using a Hunter SRR remote control for winterizing. If the valves are never physically touched, there are no worries over the blowout guy spazzing out and leaving the final zone valve manually open.

6. Broker

What is a sidekick? Website?

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Very similar to the way a sidekick harness works, but a different connector. This connector is just a 17 or 18 pin connector with 15 pins used. Any water tight commercial connector like what would work. A "sidekick" is a radio remote controller using a rectangular connector for a "pigtail" that can be left inside the controller. They are money in the bank on large commercial sites. You can get them in 12, 24 or even 48 station units. Operating range is in excess of a mile and I've seen them work in ideal settings of up to 2 miles. If they are incorporated into a FM setup on a repeater channel, the range is almost unlimited.