Scheduling help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DeWitt Lawncare, Mar 31, 2005.

1. DeWitt Lawncare

DeWitt Lawncare LawnSite Member

Ok folks, I'd really like some input here. Here's the situation...

For my first 3 years, I've billed customers per cut. Maybe most of you do the same, but that makes scheduling a route nearly impossible because everyone's lawn grows at a different pace. I'd like to be able to tell a customer that "I'm going to mow your yard every Tuesday." That way, whether it needs it or not, I'll just cut it on Tuesday.

Now, I know that in the spring some lawns need to be cut every 4 or 5 days or so. For those customers, should I just bill them for 7 or 8 cuts a month, then come July and August, bill them for 5 cuts??

I hope you guys follow me so far. What I'm really trying to avoid is having to drive all over heck to see what lawns are going to need it or not. Do any of you use a schedule that is solid? A kind of "cut it on Tuesday whether it needs it or not?"

Please help.

Thanks.

-Carl

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Do any of you use a schedule that is solid? A kind of "cut it on Tuesday whether it needs it or not?"

Yes, that is the only way to do it. Visit all job once a week on the same day.
    If rain than stop where you are- Sun comes out start right back there.

3. DeWitt Lawncare

accounts that need to be cut more than once a week?

How do you fit that into a monthly billing?

Thanks again.

-Carl

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes in spring some grass can get a little long but most homeowners only cut it once a week so that is pretty much what is expected.

The ones that are really long are more than likely the squirt fert guys fault.
    We control that on most of our lawns so that is not a problem. If you do not do lawncare try to get with someone that does and work together to only spread the right amount. If you go to the local Dept. of Ag. they will tell you how much fert to use and it will be a lot less than the big squriters put on.
    This should help to keep the grass under control.
    75% of our client base is contract which is the same each month but the few that we still bill by the cut we just bill at the end of the month for what we did that month.

By the way, We do some fields once a month and some 2 times a year but for residential the only way I will take them on is once a week.

5. DeWitt Lawncare

Thanks a bunch for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Anyone else have any pearls of wisdom?

-Carl

6. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I just bill my customers at the end of the month or the 15th of the month, I let them choose when I get the job. I really like this method because it keeps the pay coming in instead of just having it come in at one time.

7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow I can see how that would be a disaster for scheduling. I cut once a week also and bill at the end of the month, twice a week in the spring only if I can fit it in.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Tell em you'll be ther every week and give em a WINDOW say wednesday thru Friday. Make sure they know they are paying for 4 cuts a month most of the time

9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DeWitt Lawncare,

I think many would follow along with Promowers view.