1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scheduling in summer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Toads, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Toads

Toads LawnSite Member

What do you guys do about accounts that want to change to every two weeks in the hotter part of summer?
  2. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I try to go to every 10 days first. If it gets realhot/dry, then every 14.
  3. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

When I give an estimate I tell them this. I mow once a week for 30 weeks. I mow if the grass is green, brown, wet, dry, long or short. It takes me longer in the spring and shorter in the summer so it's only fair that I come every week. In the summer if the grass is really dry then they can skip but they are still charged. Now it's up to them to decide if they want to hire me. When they do hire me I know I will have someone paying for 30 weeks straight!
  4. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Ya i never mow every other week in the summer, usually always needs it and i do it anyway if there is a drought because some parts of the yard needs to me mowed. When i do start slowing down is in mid-sep. and october.
  5. Darrin A.

Darrin A. LawnSite Member

I make the decision, not my customer. If 25% of the lawn needs to be cut, the whole thing gets done. It's my name on that lawn.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are charging per mow then you are going to have to listen to the customer regardless of how painful. The main reason we switched to a 12 month pay plan was to get people away from thinking about saving money by eliminating mows. It worked!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My thoughts exactly...and as for Mow & Snow, if you're basically forcing customers to pay for 30 weeks, then get smart and put them on some monthly pay plan and just...don't cut it when it doesn't need it. Then you still get paid the same but can skip weeks in the summer, instead of going thru the motions. If I told people I come regardless of what the lawn looks like, I wouldn't pick up many new clients.
  8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I allow my customers to cancell all the cuts they want. But they still have to pay. If they want to go from once a week to every other week they can but the price doubles and if they want to go to once a month they pay there weekly rate x 4.3 and i will cut it for them. At that time there is no bagging or raking involved though.:waving:
  9. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I have some customers on monthly plans but most like the weekly plan. I have a full schedule so I only have to pick up a few every year to replace ones that have moved or died. After all these years of mowing it's my way or the highway! I understand everyone can't be like this but I believe a tough policy will only make your business better in the long run.
  10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i skip in the drought at my discression. if a customers asks i try to accomadate. im still on a pay per mow contract and some try to save. for me though, it all works out in the end and it give me time to get other work done. then i still have my irrigated lawns done weekly. its a nice break when its needed most. im looking into going monthly plan in the future. as far as letting customers decide, its your business and you should tell them when. especially day of the week. it depends on my schedual and when its good ffor you