Scheduling Lawn Maintenance/Landscaping

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DSLND, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is for those who do both maintenance/landscaping with one crew.

How do you guys schedule your mowing/installs?

I try to do my mowing Monday-Wednesday, and landscaping Thursday-Saturday/Sunday. But what has been happening is with this weather, I loose about one to two days per week. Last week I lost Tuesday, this week I lost Monday. With those days lost, my whole schedule gets pushed back. If I was to loose more than one day, then I find myself pushing install jobs back to the next week.

I was thinking about doing some rearranging.

How do you LCO's who are solo, or run a single crew do your scheduling?

2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

We do it the same way you are now. Stinks when you loose those days and it is tough to take on bigger jobs. I dont know how other guys do it working end of the week mowing if they get rain. You dont want to piss off your mowing customers when they are your bread and butter. I would say bang away just how you are and then when the mowing slows you can always sneak an extra day of odd jobs in on monday. Other than picking up another crew it really is hard.
  3. AllProMow

AllProMow LawnSite Member

Most of my mowing/maintenance prefer mowed at the end of the week to have a nice looking lawn for the weekend. What works best for me is something like this:

Mon: Installs
    Tues: Installs
    Wed: Mowing
    Thurs: Mowing
    Fri: Mowing
    Sat: Installs or catch-up day for mowing
    Sun: OFF or if really behind, mowing
  4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

welcome to the industry.this is pretty common.pull up your pants and work when you can.
  5. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

I generally use Monday for different assorted things and getting ready for the week, whether that means maintenance on equipment or the truck, or running to get supplies, whatever. Then I mow Tuesday through Friday... Assorted landscape work on Saturday, and then off on Sunday. If I loose a day during the week, everything gets pushed back a day. Pretty much the same thing you are doing.

It's a Catch 22 because if you get no rain, then the grass browns up and grows slower, and that means fewer mowings. If you get lots of rain, you get lots of growth, but it will always rain when you want to work.

The only time I won't mow in the rain will be if it's down pouring. Other than that, even if the ground is wet, I go ahead.
  6. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

So if it rains wednesday and thursday you are on the lawn on saturday and it may look nice but people are working on it and they can't really enjoy it. What if wednesday and thursday it rains and friday morning you have a breakdown? Do you then try to catch up by sunday and if you cant, do you mow your friday customers monday? Or do you just skip them for another week?

Sometimes customers just dont know what they want. They need to be trained.
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

We do the same thing, So far we have been lucky that there hasnt been to much rain to screw things up. I guess I have kind have made that schedule due to rain. We do what we can when we can, Most understand that.