Scheduling-New Crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrasMstr, Mar 4, 2008.

1. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

Been in business for seven years. Ran a 3 1/2 day 2 man schedule last year.
    Picked up another contract that is a full 2 man 1 day per week this year.
    How many days per week do you normally schedule each crew. I am thinking of adding a second crew cause if it rains we are S.O.L.
    Opinions please.
    I picked up some extra equipment at auction to use or resell so that is not an issue.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My 3 man crews run 4 days a week on maint. They love it cause it gives them a 3 day weekend with good weather and it helps me cause if we get rained out or delayed, I have that extra day to catch up.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

They don’t mind just working four days a week.:waving:
  4. rodfather

they love it
  5. GrasMstr

GrasMstr LawnSite Member

That was my thought as well. Unfortunately I am in the middle (4 1/2 days) so I'll have to see what other contracts I come up with. Going to do some targeted commercial adverts this week. As well as the local paper.
    thanks for your input.
  6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got the same schedule set up as Rod has, it is a compressed work week less headaches and more flexibility if the weather gets bad or someone gets sick. Also a good thing if you want to take off early for a camping trip or something (which the fam loves)
  7. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Do they work 40 hrs? Ten hour days?
  8. rodfather

depending on time of year, i would say they average 9 per day.

if i get in a bind with weather, i can take my landscaping crew of 3 and put them on mowers as well to help catch up to the other 2 groups of 3 each. i have plenty of mowers, trucks, trailers, trimmers, blowers, etc. to do that.

9 guys on mowers (smallest being 52") you can cut alot of grass in a day.
  9. Jaon t

Jaon t LawnSite Member

4-12's here,

I wouldn't think you need to add a whole new crew, maybe just one guy to the existing crew. Not knowing what kind of properties you maintain, but I would assume an extra guy would speed things up the rest of the week quite a bit. Doesn't sound like enough work to keep a whole other crew busy unless you can pick up more work.

Another truck, trailer, equipment, etc. is a big investment.