Scheduling new customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, May 8, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the scenario. I cut 3 lawns on a neighborhood street on Thursdays. New customer comes up to me and asks me to do his lawn also. I tell him that Thursdays are full, but I can probably fit him in earlier in the week.
    Anybody ever encounter this where you cut 2 different neighbors on 2 different days? It beats turning down the work, but..... what else can be done.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I would never turn down another customer on the same street on the same day I mow. For all you know, this trend might lead to even more customers in the future. Don't miss this opportunity... maybe you could start 1/2 hour earlier in the morning on Thursdays or work 1/2 hour later.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

save money and do it the same day. Maybe work a little longer.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely figure out a way to fit that lawn in, try reorganizing the other lawns, that is too good to pass up.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Fit it in. No problem. High gain

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It is hard not to take that customer and fit them in on the same day as the others. The idea of coming back to the same block to do 1 job will cost you over the long run. Drive time and gas on your vehicle, unload/load time, trim and clean time are all doubled. You know as well as I do that the lawns grow great in the spring and you seem really booked but the July heat makes slower growing lawns which translates into quicker mow times. I'd take that job in a second and fit them right in.

7. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Even though I've only been in this business for a short time I've encountered this situation quite a few times.As I get busier,and especially as the weather gets hotter,I would expect it to happen more and more.These neighbors see us out there working and think how nice it would be NOT to have to have to work in their yard.I agree that you have to take advantage of those opportunities.Also,these people will probably pay top dollar IF you can do it right then.Good luck.

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Move things around to fit them in. I always leave a cushion in my day for exactly that and to deal with rain, equipment problems and the like. I am realitively new on my own, but that worked really well at the place I was before.

My plan is to have a crew leader trained by the time I get 5 days completely booked have them run that with a helper and I will solo a new route and start the process over again.

Never drive extra, profit killer #1

9. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

MOW ED hit it right on the head.

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I don't know what the rest of your day is like or how many lawns you do but get creative and swap some stuff around...you'll be happier in the long run:)