Scheduling problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 1, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of a time window do you tell your customers? For morning appointments, I give a one hour window. So I tell them "Our tech will show up between 8:00 and 9:00 am. This is a one hour window that he will show up." But then I will get a call at say 8:15 and they are wondering where we are. Does what I just quoted not make sense? I think it is pretty cut and dried.

In the afternoon I generally give either a 1.5 or 2 hour window, as the day never seems to go as planned. One tech had 2 extra hours of repairs due to cable company yesterday, which put him off schedule. Not what we had anticipated, but we needed to get it done and hopefully not have to come back.

By the way, my #1 tech has thanked me a couple times now for the remote. :) So I want to thank you guys for really pushing them and the info about them. I will be getting more to help all three of us out now.
  2. No Rush

No Rush LawnSite Member

Which remote did you choose?
  3. TheOtter

TheOtter LawnSite Member

I'll chime in as a homeowner. In my opinion, a one or two hour window is awesome, and I wouldn't call you until a good bit after the end of the window. If you know he's going to be more than 30-60 minutes late, I always appreciate a call, even if it's vague. Something like, "We're running really late - I can't say when he'll be there, but it probably won't be until after 2." That lets me do any errands or whatever before he comes rather than after, as I originally planned.

The worst is when you're really late with no notice, and I could have left to get something done if I had known.

Just my 2 cents'.

Oh, and no - what you said was perfectly clear, and the customer in that case is just a moron. If you say between 8 and 9, then it's not too hard to see why they might not be there at 8:15. What part of "between" don't they understand?

Of course, in our area, "between 8 and 9" ends up meaning "7:30" more often than not. They like to get started on that first job early around here.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The only service call we were ever on time for was the first one.
    Nature of the service beast: one thing leads to another.
  5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

AM or PM, wish we could do day of. We service a LARGE area and it is impossible to do specific times.
  6. Mike Leary

Many times, I'd stop at the job, see what was wrong, order parts & TRY to schedule.
    In most cases, I'd tell the clients they did not need to be home, tho on new jobs with
    indoor-mounted clocks, it got dicey. We had either keys or garage door combos for the
  7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, a one hour window. Hard to beat that! I give customers a two hour window. The scheduling times for residentials' we try to follow (per tech) are 8:00am-10:00am, 9:00am-11:00am, 10:00am-12:00pm, etc. The overlapping/under-lapping of the windows works in our favor if they get a quickie, or are somewhat delayed with problems. Fill in the holes with small and convenient commercials that are normally accessible during business hours and you're all set. Larger sites must be notified in advance.

I really appreciate the flexible residential that will be home all day, or am/pm is fine for them. I will hard schedule the PITA's around them.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

early - mid Am , mid - late Am, ect.
  9. Mike Leary

We were slammed one year; two mega 48 zoners side-to-side, met with
    another good client that wanted a couple of zones to green up his drive
    for his daughter's wedding. I told him how busy we were (had a nine man
    crew commuting back and forth). I told him we'd try to be there by Sept.,
    he said, "what year?" After I laughed, he also said, "did I ask you how much
    this was going to cost?" Needless to say, we fit him in.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

My biggest problem is getting back to start ups that need more then a start up. Im starting to just scedule stuff for 2 trucks while I keep my scedule somewhat open to do the PITA stuff. I have 1 today that was sceduled for this past tue. They put in a dog fence , cut a wire , sliced thru 3 heads and cut the main in 3 places.Once main was repaired there were 2 stuck zones. Told my guy to move on to the next and Ill finish it up.