1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scheduling repairs

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, May 17, 2003.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

How do those of you who do a large number of repairs schedule your daily list? Do you use a software program? Write it out in a scheduling book or daytimer? Sticky notes all over your lunch cooler?

Looking for next year. Will want a good system starting next year and may try implementing some other method late this year to try something out. Right now it is handwriting into a daily appointment book.
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Alocets QXpress tied with Quick Books. Get a demo from them. Although there are other pkgs out there this one has 150 user customizable fields for data. I don't think anyone else matches that flexibilty.

It also has the ability to bundle labor and materials together so that you can do flat rate pricing and even payroll from that info. Meaning you can bundle 20 min labor a head for a flat rate price to replace the head and pay your employee 1/3 of an hr whether it is 11 minutes or 45 minutes. Easy to quote prices and bill with no quarrels over time. A helper can then be worth as much as a skilled mechanic as far a money generator.
  3. dana, come by the pond....I'll show you how I do it. I do not use QExpress or whatever it is because I hate change....but, if I were to start over, I'd probably go HB's way.....whatever you do, get it computerized and save yourself some time now for when you are busy later.....did that make sense?
  4. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

scheduling book
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know this was first posted a while ago. But thanks HBFox. I'm looking into Qxpress now. I think the scheduling looks good for what i need. I got the trial for clip, but it doesn't look like what I want. i'm ordering a trial for xpress now
  6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

act 2000! great database program...links with quickbooks, (though i cannot figure it out yet) many data fields to enter any and all info...saves history, does alot..if you need more info, i will email or fax...call me 845-721-5055
  7. thrice

thrice LawnSite Member

I have been using Microsoft Access for my customer database for many years. Within that program I can create a form report to print all my 900+ customers out on 4x6 index cards. It has thir info on it including name, address, phone #, map code, notes and so on. I filter it by city and then zip code so I can schedule customers in the same area. When doing start-ups or winterizing I pick a city where I want to start and use the cards to start calling and scheduling, usually for just the next day. It may be outdated but it works for me. Hope this helps.
  8. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

thrice- do you mind sharing a template of your access file? With no records of course
  9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Thrice that would be great if you could share just the templet I have been looking and havn't been able to find one yet. Thanks