1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scheduling & Routing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MidAtlantic, Feb 11, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

I'm sure everybody on here is always thinking about how to better improve their efficiency in scheduling and routing of jobs and crews. I know I am always thinking about it.. I was wondering what software programs everybody is using or what methods they are using?

I was thinking of making a magnetic marker board to schedule the crews and jobs. If you have any ideas or pics please feel free to share it with the rest of us..Thanks.
  2. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

I currently don't use any software to route crews. However I believe this is one of the most important aspects to consider in operating a successful business. I'm in Texas and things are pretty spread out compared to up north. But I try to follow a order by working different areas of town progressively throughout the week and staying completely outside of the city on Friday when it is a zoo. I see so many guys make the mistake of taking on a client outside their normal service area just because it looks good at first to later realize it is more of an expense than asset. The shorter the distance you drive the less time your guys sit in the truck. The less time your guys are in the truck the more they can work. The more they work the more you can get done in the course of a day. Assuming you have purchased the most efficient machines to use for each property.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

they have a trial version, I just found it yesterday, it looks like it might be just what you need, computerized mapping.
    let me know what you think.
  4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I couldn't get clip to work on my pc...
  5. stumper1620

won't work or the site didn't come up?
    if its the site i'll fix the link.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

the cd they sent me I couldn't get it to work
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Gopher Software works pretty good.
  8. stumper1620

I down loaded the trial right off their site.
  9. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

To route 400 jobs or so the following works fine for us.
    Copy map of area. Pinpoint or mark each job. Then connect the dots.
    Keep in mind what you want to accomplish, for example commercial at beginning of week, residential at end of week. Figure what residential yards are out of the way and fill them in with the residentials.
    This is obviously for grass cutting, we did the same for fert also.
  10. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

Does anybody think Clip is difficult to use and a bit expensive. They quoted me $3,300 for the Qclip pro with the project module. Ouch!!!!! I'm still trying to figure out if its worth it or not. I was curious as to what everybody else is using and if there is a less expensive program that is easy to use.