Scheduling your route

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Feb 18, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys do your routing for the start of the season for the lawns?

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I schedule my routes by neighborhoods. I start on the east side of town monday, work my way to the west/north side of town by friday. I try to do everyone in an area on the same day.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I went to a local print company to help with this. I bought a 4'x4' map of my city and used mapping pins to locate what properties I mow weekly, bi-weekly and chem apps. It gives you an aerial view of your service area.

4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I did it by towns last season. I am going to revamp my routing system this year. I think that breaking it down into areas will be more effective. Some parts of town A may be closer to a different town than say the other side of town A.

5. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have microsoft streets and trips. I put in all the customers address, and it will put a pin cushion where theyre at. You can color code the pin cushions or change the style of them. I then put customers into a route and itll put them in order by the fastest time between each.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have microsoft street and trips 2003. I have tried entering the address but it will only label the street, not exactly where the house is on the street. I can move it but then it reads an different address like "Near (Closest city)" so it isn't really that helpful because it doesn't give you the exact address. Help!:confused:

7. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

It does that with me sometimes. It may just not have the address in it, but most of the time it work. You may consider updating it. Ive also noticed that in my version (2005 i believe) that it sometimes doesnt even have some roads, or they are slightly different in reality. But i believe it works well, especially since it was free for me.

8. brbsta

brbsta LawnSite Member

I used this way last year and it worked great and doing the same this year. Use Google Earth. You can pinmark the exact properties that you cut and then decided which cluster would for for each day them label them that. And since its a sat. view its pretty awsome. Then you can print up your whole area or do it by day. The link is earth.google.com.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We cut in the same area of the city on specific days.

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just sit down and look at all the addresses and figure out who is close to who and go from there. I try to work in commercial accounts close to the beginning of the week and most of the residential towards the end of the week. But nothing is in stone until I get my routes established.