scheduling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smithf36, Feb 19, 2002.

1. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone tried using two shifts for landscaping?
    1) 530am - 230pm
    2) 130pm - 1030pm
    during the peak season only of course. Looking for ideas on how to increase productivity, use of equipment as well as only making the guys work 8-9 hours. I would like to also be able to work safer. Once people work 8-9 hrs, they get fatigued and safety becomes an issue. This would also reduce overtime. Any suggesttions, comments - please.
    Thanks
    Joe

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The two biggest drawbacks to this theory is:
    1. When we need the most light we havent got it. In the spring and fall its usually too wet to do anything before 830am and not light til 7am anyhow -LOL!!!

2. There are laws that prohibit the use of powered equipment inside the city limits before 7am and after 7pm.

3. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I guess if you're planting annuals or doing something that was quiet and not equipment dependent, it might make sense.

As well, depending on the sites, a weekend shift during daylight hours might be able to get some of the work done.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

have considered this.

concluded rain delays, equipment breakdowns would be difficult to co-ordinate. training double the guys a pain. double the papaerwork on payroll, workman's comp.

but it could, with the right guys, be worthwhile.

we dont schedule work on saturday but i also have thought about hiring someone on sat. perhaps someone older, or a student, to do a few commercial props. if i could trust them...

5. King City Lawns

King City Lawns LawnSite Member

I have in the past run two shifts mowing... I would have my crew mow in the early moring and early after noon, then I would take over and mow till dark with a third emp. works very well for us to keep up in spring when growing wuth out the extra expense of one mor truck and mower setup.... Do this a lot with bushog work also... In Ilolinois there are a lot of people who have acreage in set-aside conservation programs, these have to be mowed every year during the month of Aug and Sep. can not keep up.There has actually been a week when we mowed nearly 24 hrs a day. All set-aside is open fields usually 5-50 or more acres. Good mowing and still safe to mow at night.

6. LawnLad

King City - aren't Aug/Sept full of ozone action days? Have you ever thought about the harm you are causing the envirnoment by cutting for 24 hrs straight? lol.

7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Who do you have that will come in at 5:30 am?

8. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

This schedule (if we do it) would only be used during May thru Aug, when we have summer help and could kick things in high gear without making everyone work 12-15 hours per day and pay a @#$% load of overtime.

Our community does not currently have any laws prohibiting noise before any certain time.

We are putting training programs into play this year and within a few weeks every employee would have the basic knowlede of how to do things. Currently with some key employees that we have on board, we feel that this may be possible. I am definately looking for input and what you guy feel are the pros and cons, etc. Thank you so far.
    Joe

9. LawnLad

As an owner/manger there from 6 am until closing on normal days, you'll either need to be at work 18 hours a day, or have a very trusted "general manager" or right hand man that can either open or close for you. You certainly don't want to burn yourself out or the other good folks you have around you. As an owner, your inclination is to watch and make sure everything is running smoothly. If you open up at 4:30 am or 5:00 am, can you go home at 3 or 4 pm knowing that everything will be fine until 9 pm? Or will you be worrying constantly? If you have good managers, and you're not a worrier... than it might just work. Seems like a great concept.

10. smithf36

smithf36 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I entend on having a "right hand man" as an operations manager or something to that effect. Still working out the details. My hours would be something like 7am to about 6-8 pm. Monday - Friday. These hours don't bother me too much as long as, like you say I have someone I can trust of do the kind of job I expect. Thank you for your input.
    Joe