school bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaulk, Feb 14, 2005.

1. gaulk

gaulk LawnSite Member

just found out what the schools were paying last year to have 60 acres mowed. Now this is 5 different schools that make the total, it was being done for 625$ a week. I just can not figure this one out, i was going 2 bid it for 2,200 per week is their any true method 2 this madness?
  2. ltlm

ltlm LawnSite Member

we take care of 50 acre of school property. we do 2 middle schools one elem one high school --bus garage--two practice fields one foot ball field and track --four ball fields --two soccer fields and administration office. all for 3800. a week the foot ball field get cut three times a week.
  3. Bet $10.00 who ever is doing it last year will probably get outbid at that price.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably the local boy that lives at home, or the scum of the earth doing it for beer money. Either way, the low bid will always get it if they meet the bid spec criteria. I've done some school bids and they HAVE to take low bid. I can pretty much bet my left nut that I'll never be the low bid for anything.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

We bid an area of around 40 acres of school.. They told us they want a "contractor" not summer help ruining there equipment etc.

So we bid, all of our equipment, $2450.00 / mow. They were going to take care of the football field and the two baseball fields.

Needless to say the guy with a 42" craftsman got the bid. He is mowing with that and the school's JD front mount. I keep track every month of the school's bill for lawn care, the highest it has ever been was around $2200 for the entire month. Figure that out!
  6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

625 sounds insane. In my school district...I think the bid is around 32,000 for maybe 25, 26 cuts, and thats only the middle school and the high school and elem school are right next to eachother.
  7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I put in a bid for a school district that had a district office and 8 schools to do as well as 4 baseball fields, 2 soccer fields, 3 football fields for a total of 96 acres. This district was in 3 towns and would have required 32 weeks of mowing per year as well as 240 miles of travel per week. I bidded it at $56,000 for the year and I was told that I was way too high. They ended up hiring 3 maintenance people to do the mowing, one in each town at $11 per hour 32 hours per week each to do using the districts equipment. From what I found out I was over $15,000 higher than low bid. I can't figure out where some people get their bids ?
  8. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Must be a hobby for someone in the area.
  9. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

It's easy, first, put a glove on your favorite hand, right or left, (it's easier cleanup this way) and then bend over forwards..... reach in and pull real hard.
  10. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Butt Numbers! :dizzy: