School Bids??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by N.H.BOY, Mar 19, 2007.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

If the school budget for all lawn service's is $10,000 bucks (which I found out in the budget for next year) does that REALLY mean that they will not grab a bid for lets say $12,000 bucks? Anyone with exp. with this? I did the math and all and it's 3 diff. schools. From July of this year to June of next year. That is only like 30-35 bucks a week for about a few hours I think. Should I bid or not to bid, that is the ?:dizzy:

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Schools want the cheapest bids they can find and I stay away from them because they want a lot of work done but don't want to pay to have it done

3. git-r-done

git-r-done LawnSite Member

are you thinking about biding on the schools in the northfield area? those are some really big lawns depending on what ones you bid on.its not worth it.

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

What equipment are going to use? and how many acres? if you can't bring your bid below 10,000 then your not going to get it. Our school's that we mow are budgeted for 15,000 a season we bidded it for about 12,275.

5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

save your time, find work elsewhere. $35 a week for a couple hours!! thats crazy. i can cut 2-3 yards an hour at $30 a pop, even if you only cut 2 an hour at $25 a peice you would still be making more money an hour.
    Only good thing i can say about schools is you shouldn't have to worry about getting paid.

6. Swampy

opps didn't read your sig. Yeah I'd pass on it with that equipment. We use a 60" Toro ZTR for around and up front of the schools, 72" Toto 325 for fencelines ditchs and fronts of the schools, and a 580D Toro WAM for fields.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

yep....If you're not equipped for it, don't even consider it. It is hard to compete with WAMs and 20' batwing mowers. Around here, these guys come in and cut 20 bucks an acre, and a guy I know that does a school system comes in at around $10 per acre.

8. Swampy

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup not the high school though! Well I'm not really going to bid them I guess, I just did'nt know if you guys that do bid it out higher than the budget. I guess they will get someone to bid way below the budget. Not worth my time I guess. Thanks for all who gave feed back on this.