school bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mountain, Mar 13, 2002.

1. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

How do some companies do it? We just lost a 100 acre school complex , about 70 acres of grass. The low bid was $550 per cut , if anybody knows how to cut , trim and blow off walks on 70 acres of grass for $550 please let me in on the secret.

:angry:

pheww , I feel better now

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how much walkway is there? if the 70 acres is open it can be done easily with a tractor and batwing mower, if large amount of sidewalks put a blower on a ztr or push blower.

3. mountain

mountain LawnSite Member

That's all well and good, but you didn't mention anything about the trimming! Plus I know for a fact that they don't have that type of equipment.

4. stslawncare

from DE

get one of those trimmers u see in the lawn magazines that mount on ur ztr. what equip do they have

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

there are no short cuts to quality services .... only cheap PM's .......trimming n edging is best performed by human touch ....70 Acres is a lot of grass even with a ztr .... n gang reels are $$$ .... unless you do sport fields n roadways

$550 a cut .....my god I'd loose that much every visit maintaing that job at that rate ....but they'll come back .... when the job gets half %$# ......

I know the feeling I just lost a 3k monthly last month (new PM last summer .... she's going to hit the budget!) ....too god knows who ....as it still hasn't been cut in 3 weeks ...happen before n then the call back ....we raise the rate ...n go on with it

6. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

I do not understand what is going on but in my area the parks dept. bid went for $9.50 per acre! and there is 900 acres. I have not heard on the school board bids yet, But the parks bid was just ignorant!

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$550 for 70 acres ($7.86 per acre) is frigggin' ridiculous..even if there was no trimming or blowing off of the walks. Something tells me "there's a termite in the wood pile".

8. stslawncare

from DE

$8 per acre may be cheap but when ur dealing with large properties like that isnt it normal? im not familier with this but thats what i heard.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry, but $8 an acre is nuts...let 'em have it and go broke trying to do it. Amen.

10. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Wow!!!!!!! They must do a mow and go type of job. They edge and trim it?(yea right) Thats what sucks about the landscaping business all the cut throat stuff. $7-10 an acre???? I understand that you may only drop the gate once in the day but man!!!!!!:blob2: