School Contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLC4Carolina, Nov 18, 2003.

1. TLC4Carolina

TLC4Carolina LawnSite Member

My partner and I have thought about bidding on a few Public Schools in our area and I was wonder if any of you guys have ever mowed for a School system. If so, how was it and is there money to be made "ya know how most states are.....cheepest thing out there works for them"

Thanks for any info

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi TLC,

Here is a post that may be useful to you.

Schools

3. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

TLC,
    Years ago we cut for CMS, back then, the grounds were so rough and bumpy, we tore up most of our equipment. Also, alot of trash and bottles everywhere. Things may have changed, but back then it was bad.
    They also usually take low bids (unless not enough experience) but they may have changed that too.

Good Luck.

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

A school in my area was open for bid this year. I was told that they were people coming out the woodwork to bid on this. I know the person that has the contract and has had the contract for several years. Takes 8 men all day and a little of the next day to complete. Bi-weekly for $500.00 a month. I never even considered bidding. More of a headache than its worth.

Hope you can make it work for you.....good luck.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

8 men all day and some of the next???!!! At $250 a cut???!!! With 8 people, I would think they would be finished in about an hour or so for those dollars. Someone needs their head examined IMO. His expenses aren't even being covered less the thought of "profit".

Good grief...

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

This season I mowed 4 x elementary schools, middle school, high school, 2 x football fields and the admin building. All the areas were irrigated and regularly fertilised. The football fields were mowed every 3-4 days in the high season.

The good thing about mowing schools:
    Good paying account. I got a lot of good compliments for my work there. Mowing the schools was also a good reference for me and generated other new business for us.

The bad thing about mowing schools:
    You can only mow after 4 pm after school is out.
    That's interfering with :drinkup:

:D PC

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Thats what I deal with here.

Just hope they never get good at those prices.

Another LCO in this area has an apartment complex. Two hired guys, Two mowers all day mowing for a gross income of $125.00.

One of the x-workers of that LCO let me in on that secret.

Go figure that one on paper.

My helper can almost make that in a day.

8. I have done some school contracts in the past. But I really think it depends on your area as how it will turn out.In my area the schools are like cities cheap or very very slow pay.If a contract is up for a city or school. there is a reason usally why a quality lco isn't doing them.Because if it was a earthwhile account a good lco would have it locked up for a multi year contracts.But every region of the country is different

9. TLC4Carolina

TLC4Carolina LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, We were just kinda giving it a look, as kind of an option for next year.