School me on used reel mowers.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by T56 Impala, Jul 15, 2009.

1. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

N/M I didn't read the rest of your post.... :hammerhead:

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I edit my posts quite a bit and that happens from time to time!

If you are sharpening one of those 3 gang ride on reels this price is going to go up. Maybe DaveK (friend across town and on here) will chime in and he can give you an estimate on the costs for those.

3. T56 Impala

T56 Impala LawnSite Member

I see ads on CL for free pick up for sharpening reel mowers for $85. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. However, what does it cost to REPLACE a blade and how often does that happen?

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

There are two things that need to be replaced on a reel. The bedknife at the bottom of the mower, which starts at around $100 and the reel which is about $300 plus. Both of those pieces last many years unless the machine is used commercially and being reground many times a year. Other time a reel and knife must be replaced is if they are bent or deeply chipped by hitting a hard object. Worst I have seen is when a 7 blade Tru-Cut P27 hit drywall screws left in the grass. Small gravel is not nearly as bad.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

For a homeowner a reel will last a lifetime...or the lifetime of the mower, a bed knife for a TruCut is about $30. Grinding is about $85, back lapping is about $55.