School me please...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Whatdefunk, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Whatdefunk

Whatdefunk LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Ok, I have never heard of high lift blades until I came to lawnsite. I have been cutting grass for 6 or 7 years now and I don't have a clue what benefits these blades would have for me. Now remember I am in d/fw Texas and I cut St. Augustine and Bermuda grass, nothing else here. I don't stripe or (strip) as some might say. Well I used to strip but I kept losing customers....:confused: Go figure. Anyway could someone explain to me why I would or would not need these kinds of blades??
  2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, in short, Hi-lift blades are blades with fins at a steeper angle that give added lift/ throw to derbis in a yard including grass and leaves (and sticks and balls and pop cans that you cant see in 2' tall grass, and what a dog leaves behind to recycle, etc)
  3. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I use high lift blades in the summer to help remove the clumps of grass and no lift during the winter months. Basically high lift blades cause a higher sucking action.
  4. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

MP350 is correct, Lawn Boy 'Pro" that's funny.

High lift blades are/do just that.
    Lift the grass as in a vacuuming action, stands it up to be cut. Regular blades may tend to lay the grass down because of not enough lift action, giving the after cut a rolled flattened look (sometimes).
    High lifts (in my case), in creating this force of air moving upward, tends to blow the clippings back down the outer edges of the deck and keeps the underside of the deck clean, I don't do any scraping.
    I run doubles, 1 high lift and 1 gator max, Scag brand.
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Rustic, thank you for your advice you gave me previously on blade combinations. You were right on the $$$ about using high lifits with the gator max. Even without a mulch kit it does great.
  6. this is dumb but does anybody have pics of doubles? I want to see how u mount them. (like are they parrallel with each other)
  7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

It's nothing more complicated than mounting two blades instead of one.
    Most mowers require no additional hardware, just mount them as you would a single blade but in a + pattern. Keep in mind that when you do this, you will be cutting one blade thickness deeper, you'll want to check and possibly compensate by moving a blade bolt washer.