school problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdb landscaping, Feb 19, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im taking a landscape maintenence course and have a problem i need help on. i was given the situation where a row of canadian hemlocks(tsuga canadensis) serving as a screen in front of residence on a recently widened highway exposing it to road salt injury, due to soil accumulation and spray. what can be done to mitigate this problem? thanks in advance.

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Question: Why post this in the off topic forum?

Solution to problem:

Any of these should work

1. Move trees
    2. install berm
    3. install wood fencing

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

post this in the landscaping forum.

I would be interested in the solution, as I have a customer with a hemlock hedge which abuts a state highway and the road-side of the trees is almost devoid of the needles...

4. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

my first thought would be a temporar wintertime sill fence. but, that probably wons stop water/salt mix from leeching into the ground, but will stop any slat from actually landing on the ground near the hemlocks.

my other thought would be some sort of drainage system along the hemlock row.

5. site

site LawnSite Member

Hemlocks will suffer when planted too close to the road no matter what steps you take to try to protect them.
    Granulated gypsum will help lessen salt damage in soil.
    Also, look for the wooly adelgid which is killing hemlocks everywhere. They bore into the bark and suck the tree dry. A sign that they are there is little white bubbles that look like spit on the trunk. If you find the bugs you can treat the trees with chemicals and get rid of them. Although, I dont know my chemicals well enough to reccomend one.
    Around here most designers have stopped using hemlocks in their plans. Too risky.

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Some good answers here. Do whatever you can to keep shrubs as healthy as possible. Spray them w/ dormant oil spray early spring to help ward off potential wooly adelgid, scale, or other potential insect problems. Feed early spring and again in the fall. Spray late fall w/ antidessicant to help seal the plants leaves. Most importantly, do whatever it takes to keep road salt fom affecting them.

Bob

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the advice everyone. i did some research, and basically the best advice i can find is to just leech the salts out of the soil in the spring. as long as you water it heavily to get the salts below the root line, you should be good to go. i also like the idea of the drainage ditch in front. ill talk it over with the head hancho professor tomorrow and see what he thinks.

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We haven't protected any hemlocks, but have had the same problem with an existing row of taxus on Route 1. The road was widened and the snow w/salt would just stay stacked up on the plants unless we protected them. For a few years now the 3' silt fence that ohioguy mentioned has worked great set about 8-10" off of the plants. Even if the salt leaches into the soil the sides of the plants don't get burned off or crushed. And, as the snow melts it isn't piled right on the plants. The arrangement we set up makes most of the snowmelt drain right back onto the street outside the dripline of the bushes. We go by a few times during the winter and pull the fence up to make sure it stays stiff for any oncoming storm. In the spring we fertilize with some organic plant and shrub fertilizer and so far the plants are hanging on!