1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

school system mowing bid.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CutRight, Mar 14, 2006.

1. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to be bidding on mowing all the schools in a neighboring town, haven't looked into it much yet, bid doesn't go out until July. I just got a phone call tonight and all i know so far is that it includes 5 schools, don't know about athletic fields and what not yet. Seems like a decent amount of money available for the contract. I know a guy on the board of education for the town that approves the contracts.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience mowing for a town or a school system. any comments or suggestions are welcome.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Schools systems are ALWAYS cheap as they never have enough money to get everything done , everything built and everybody they want each year, so I almost guarantee you it will go to the bidder that bids $25.00 an acre....and I do guarantee you somebody will bid $25 or lower an acre.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Two things.

1. The bid doesn't go out until July??? So would you be mowing NEXT year?? Or picking up the middle of the year this year??

Seems like they wouldn't want to change contractors in the middle of the year...

2. I get $24 / acre for the 5 schools I do.

It's not as good of money as the commercials that I do, but I make decent money on it, and it doesn't have to be nearly as nice as the other accounts.

There's no blowing at all, minimal amounts of trimming, and 2 full days of mowing while moving the truck 3 times.

Basically just sit there.

I work solo and have a WAM that I found extremely cheap for $14k, so it all works out.

Anyways, I agree with MMLawn, you're probably looking around $20-25 / acre, although a school I bid on this spring with 3 buildings on the same 35 acres, went out at $17.xx / acre.
  4. CutRight

like i said, i dont know much about it yet. my father knows the guy on the board of education. he told us to put in a bid, its 5 schools, i dont know the acreage yet.
    lawnmower man, how many acres do the 5 schools you mow sit on?

so when you guys say $17 an acre, is that per weekly mow? so say

100 acres x $17/acre x 24 weeks (say a 6 month mowing season) = $40,800

now i have no idea of the acreage, this is just an example.

the bid last year was at $27,000 for reference

i dont do much mowing, i only have 12 clients that i take care of there lawns and the rest of my work is all new construction, landscape installs, and excavation. So I could send a crew out to mow all my lawns in two days and make an extra $27,000 or whatever. yes i know its $27,000 minus expenses, im just talking.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a school board member here in Tennessee and last season we paid $44,000.00 to have 13 properties cut and trimmed. :usflag:
  6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

and to compare that, I have one commercial that is 8.5 acres and pays $42,000.00 a year
  7. JTF40

There you go - 'nuff said. :usflag:
  8. CutRight

whats the acreage on those 13 properties
  9. JTF40

They vary quite-a-bit. We are in the "country". They would average, I would say, 2-4 acres of grass each. :usflag:
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The school I do, I get $36k / year, it's 70 acres, give or take 1 or 2.

This is just for the mowing, chemlawn does all the fertilizing / spraying.

I trim it every other week, sometimes once / month, depending on how dry it is.

It's required that the grass be kept under 3" tall, once / week. Meaning that if it's the spring time, I have to mow once / week. If it's dry out, I have to keep the grass under 3" tall.

There's no irrigation, so last year when it was dry, I went a month, and only mowed one time, for the check of $6,000. So that month my acreage fee was over $85 / acre.

I get paid $6000 / month, flat fee for 6 months.

This year I got them to pay me extra to mow extra. Each field that has a game on it in the spring time (baseball, softball, football) gets mowed an extra time at the beginning of the week if they have a home game that week. Just mowing, no trimming. They're doing this for an extra $400 / month, so my fee this year will be $38,400 if this all works out.

I have an 11' WAM that I carry in the trailer, so those fields will be knocked out pretty quick.