Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

how many of u guys have gone to school for business? i'm trying to figure out if i have to go to school to run a lawn service. what do u guys think.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well let's see...

...last time someone asked me this question, I replied that I had a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, another Bachelor of Science in Economics, and a Master's of Business Administration in Industrial Relations. Now, do you need all that to run/be a successful LCO? Probably not...but it sure has helped in the previous 11 years. :)
  3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Ok Rodfather..... I have a:

BS in Criminology
    BS in Communications (Broadcast Management)
    MS in Communications (Broadcast Management)
    Cert in Plumbing
    AA in Electrical Engineering
    Just started an AA in Horticulture

Do I need these to run a LCO. Not really. Like you, it helps from time to time. I don't even hang the things up on the wall anymore.
  4. Victo

Victo LawnSite Member

You really don't any diploma or degree to run a lawn service business. All you need is some experience in cutting grass before you go and mess up somebodies yard. For instance, I have a B.Sc. in Computer Science and M.Sc. in MIS. The education does not help me in cutting grass. What helped me is I used to cut grass for public schools while I go to collge last time. This is what helped me now because I have some experince. So, all you need is some experience in lawn service and yuo will learn more about it while you are in the business. Education might help you in in doing your business plan, doing your tax and so on...
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Would need to be a pretty big wall LOL :D
  6. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you need a degree but, you do need some experience, maybe even from a managerial role. I think you need to be a business man first and landscaper/lco next. I've know a few guys who were excellent at what they did but failed at business ownership because they couldn't manage the business side of it. If you have field knowledge but no bus. knowledge I would hire an accountant who could offer some advise and help with planning. Maybe this sounds kinda strange but, I feel God prepared me for business ownership through no plans of my own (at first), everything just kind of fell into place. :D
  7. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I'm at the Stockbridge School of Agriculture at UMass Amhert and I am in the landscape contracting program.
  8. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a BA in Psychology and retired (early) 2 yrs ago as Director of National Marketing Accounts for a large financial company. It was no help for the mowing but it was great for Marketing, Customer Service, Billing and accounting, etc.
  9. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

That's most of the battle (customer relations), the rest is cake.
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I stopped short of a business degree with a concentration in marketing. Necessary? I feel education, any, is beneficial just as is real life hands on experience, lets not forget the good old fashioned horse sense that a lot of folks seem to be lacking these days to.
    No you don't need a degree, but a few business classes would not hurt, and you better have something on the ball character/personality wise as well.
    Meticulous planning, research, and prayer/being thankful or mindful of what is important in life, these philosophies/principles have always seved me well.

Sounds right on the money to me captaigreen