Schools

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kc2006, Sep 12, 2004.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't really get that great of a fist season this year as I've had alot of health problems (at age 18 great!) so I'm just saving up money and getting ready to do alot next season. So I wanted to get some information on how to get commercial accounts, how to give accurate estimates and stuff like that. So is there any good information courses or something to that sort about lawn business out there? I'm still in high school but I'll be done in the winter so I dont think i can go to a college or trade school. Any one have some websites or something for me?

2. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

Have you thought about a degree in Horticulture, Landscaping Architect, or something else along those lines that is green industry related? If not, your local college/trade school should have at least some types of classes related to horticulture/landscaping, etc. At the very least I would recommend taking some business classes. A couple accounting classes would be very helpful. Also, a finance class (the time value of money) would be very beneficial to educate yourself on running a business.

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I plan on going to the local college for business and checking into a horticulture class at a trade school but that won't be for a year or two that i would attend that.

4. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

Not sure about other states, but here you only have to be 16 to attend trade schools/votech. When I was 16 and 17, I took a couple horticulture and computer classes at the local vo-tech. At the time, they were very helpful and useful. I still wonder if should have went that route instead of industrial engineering and mba....

Good luck whatever you decide.

John

5. Dwan

Dwan LawnSite Member

Take any business classes you can. Work toward a business degree. By then you should be able to find classes in the direction you want to go. ounce you have a business background you can run most any you want. We can all make money mowing lawns but running the business is the hardest part of the job.
    99% of the business in the green industry fail due to mismanagement.

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -