Scorched earth

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lee b, May 12, 2002.

1. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

This thread is for all the members that haven't gotten the rain that others are griping about. We haven't had a good soaking rain in over 2 months. The grass is not suffering any more, it's graveyard dead, shrubs and trees are shedding leaves, ponds and shallow wells are going dry. If it wasn't for weeds and a few sprigs of bahia grass, I wouldn't need to mow at all.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

man i feel so bad for you guys. i hope this system that is coming thru tonight hits all the way from tx to fl.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I know what you are going through. We have experienced some bad droughts here in the last few years. I guess we are a little luckier here though when it comes to mowing during a bad drought. Everyone expects a drought every few years, so 95% of our customers have sprinkler systems.We usually have to drop back to a biweekly cycle during a drought, but at least we can salvage some income. Hope some of this rain we are getting heads your way.:(

4. We've had .18" in may-normal may is 2.75"
    April was .23 out of a normal 2"
    some area's are going on water restrictions

Just ordered 2 more boxes of dust masks :cry:

them tears are the only moisture we're getting

5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll gladly give you some rain if I could. the sun doesn't come out around here any more just rains and rains and rains. Thank god for enclosed trailers!

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right, Lee but we had some move in this weekend, I think. We were out of town so I'm not sure but we did have a nice shower a bit ago. :)

7. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Supposed to have some rain tonight.....God I hope so...:D

8. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

I think we got your guys' rain... Last week it rained constant. 4"-5"... Good luck

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in WY we had very little snow and no rain this year yet. The only thing that is green is where the ONE snow drift from the winter was. Yards that don't have the sprinklers on yet are still totally brown.
    I have some ranch friends and they told me that they are out of pasture already and it isn't even the middle of May. I am a volunteer fire fighter, and we are expecting a bad grass fire season this summer.

10. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Good news, last night we got 1.7" of wonderful rain. I hope that everyone that needed rain got some too. This is the most rain we've had since last September. I feel for the folks with livestock, we were just about to start feeding hay because our pastures were burnt up.