Scored a sweet Cub Cadet today...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oldrustycars, Apr 22, 2006.

1. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

a 1250 hyrdo, deck, weights and chains, and snow blade. the seller said despite spending lots of money on it ( $550 receipt for parts) it didnt cut well. i got it cheap, took it home and started to rip it apart. all 3 blades were on upside down. they appeared to be brand new when installed, but the cutting edges had never cut blade one of grass. put it together, the deck was even dead on level (on a 30 year old mower?), cuts like brand new. better than my 1968 cub 124 gear drive. and my wife likes riding it, so now she wants to cut the grass. win/win for me...:drinkup:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you win all the way around.....Ya gotta have his and hers mowers so now you don't have to worry about her rippin at you to get rid of your older one. :drinkup:

3. oldrustycars

we raced around the yard today. the hydro did a good job mowing at darn near top speed, while the gear drive wouldnt keep up with her in third gear, and did a crappy job mowing. plus the older one has the trademark half a turn of play in the steering box, so i dont like going too fast on it. the neighbors were getting a good laugh.
    i almost felt bad for the price i got this for, but it could have just as easily gone the other way and i'd have had to deal with a twisted deck and three bad spindles.

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Back when Cub Cadet really meant something:usflag:

Happy 149 owner here:clapping:

That old iron just does'nt come up for sale much around here.

5. Restrorob

Did you know oldrusty that you can adjust some of the play out of that gearbox ? Below is the two adjusters in red, Just screw them in until you get all the play possible out.

Cub 124 Steering Box.JPG

6. oldrustycars

yeah, i have several web sites describing how to do it. one guy who builds cub pulling tractors claims to have rebuilt dozens of these boxes and never needed any parts. but with my own junk, its like the shoemakers children. i'll spend all day lining out someone elses stuff, while my own just limps along:confused:

7. Restrorob

I know all about that song, A Technicians equipment is always the last to be worked on and then only when it quits. ;)