Scott Lawn Tractor (John Deere) Home Depot-'00

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sparking, Oct 3, 2003.

1. sparking

sparking LawnSite Member

Hi There!

My Dad has a 2000 year model lawn tractor labeled Scott, built by John Deere bought at Home Depot. It has a grease port/inlet on each of the spindles, between the bearings, for the three blades. Does anyone know if it needs periodic greasing and if so, how often? Or, if it is factory lubed, permanently, then why did they have these ports on the spindels?

P.S. We got snow flurries in southern Michigan on 1 Oct. Where's the indian summer? :((

Thanks,
    Sparky

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor has one I will check,I'm thinking if they have zerk then you may need to grease them.It really depends on the usage.

3. sparking

sparking LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawnzz. I would appreciate any info.

Sparking

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Grease them every month, watching for grease to squirt out somewhere when it is full. The trick is to learn where the extra grease will squirt out so you can keep the mess to a minimum. Once you see the grease moving, it is good to stop. Doesn't have to actually squirt out, just as long as you see it moving, meaning it is being pushed by the freah grease. Usually, done regularly, it will only take a few squeezes from a grease gun, or less.

~Nest

P.S. Grab a grease gun AND extension from any auto parts store, they seem to be cheaper there than Walmart or something.