Scott's 4 step program

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by snowjeep, May 5, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

This is my second year and I have customers who want me to apply the Scott 4 step program. Do I need an applicator license to use residential products? I will get license next year but was just planning on growing my cutting business this summer.

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If the fertilizer contains any sort of herbicide or pesticide, then you have to have a license. I don't know about your state but some states dont even allow spreading straight fertilizer without a license. Go to your state's website and look it up.

3. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

I've had a similar question. A customer wants me to get rid of his crab grass and I said that I can get some stuff at Home Depot, he can pay for the product and I'll charge a low applicator fee. Since this stuff is available to the public for purchase, I don't see how there can be any legal ramifications if I were to apply without any license.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

It's called LIABILITY. An applicator for hire is responsible for any type of damage that can come from incorrect pesticide use. People like to paint all pesticide applicators with a broad brush that we don't care about the environment. We do. That's why we're licensed, certified, and insured.

5. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Read the sticky on the Fertilizer/Pesticide section. I would assume both of you need to be licensed.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Its okay for homeowner to apply whatever he wants to the land as long as its not restricted use. However if homeowner hires someone to apply pesticide to his property the applicator needs to be licensed. Doesn't matter what type of pesticide is applied. Its a federal regulation thanks to the EPA. Scotts 4 step does include pesticide (crabgrass preventer.)

As far as fertilizer regulation reguarding application varies by states.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you knew the benefits of a truly professional application program, you wouldn't want to spread that crap on anything.

8. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your point that's why I don't offer any lawn treatments yet. Next year I will have my applicators license and use commercial products only. I understand your point just wanted a legal answer for my customers.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

EPA regulations, state regulations. Hefty civil or crimial fines.

10. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

In Indiana, my understanding is, you can put down straight fertilizer without a license. Any kind of application that contains a herbicide or pesticide, even basic ones you can buy at any store, you must have a license. You can do whatever you want on your own property, but as I understand the letter of the law to read, it would be a violation per se if even a friend bought the stuff himself and asked you to spread it. I understand the first offense is basically a slap on the wrist, but the bigger issue would be the liability if you misused the chemicals and ruined someones lawn or worse. I, like you, will have my license next season as well. I have already started the process but thought it would just be too many irons in the fire this year to rush it through. I have an arrangement with a guy doing some chemical jobs for me this year as a sub. He just did a big job for me in some overgrown beds and I also got him servicing a few of my clients I will be taking over on next year. He bills me and I bill them and it's all legal.