Scotts 4 step program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Petr51488, May 11, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey Guys, im 16 years old... and i wanted to make a little extra money doing the fertilizer. Have any of you ever hear of the scotts 4 step program? As in you put down a special fertilizer every season. Is that a good way to go? Would it make a difference if i start to put down the fertilizer now rather than at the beginning of the season? I would rather go with the scotts than any other because i have a place here where i can get it... Any info will help.. Thanks!!

2. Petr51488

from NJ

And also, how would i price it.. the price of the fertalizer (even though i prob. won't use the whole bag) and what else?

3. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You must have a commercial pesticide applicator's license to apply chemicals (other than straight fertilizer) on turf for hire. That means if you are applying a scotts "weed and feed" fertilizer to a customers lawn, you must have a license. To obtain a license, you must pass a written test and buy a license...it varies from state-to-state.

Just thought i'd let you know, as the fines can be over $5,000 per occurance.

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

nothing wrong with being young and a go-geter.

however, without the proper license/insurance...well maybe you could find someone in your area that you could sub this work out too?

Most states you'll need to be 18 to aquire a license

5. Petr51488

from NJ

Why would i need a lisence? I apply it on my own lawn, is that still illegal? How would i get cought?

6. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

Ahh....Bobby G

You want to address this issue...

7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I remember when I was bulletproof...

You have to be licensed and carry a certain amount of insurance. This protects you and your customers. It would really suck to just be starting out in life and have a judgement hanging over your head. Plus, if you do get caught, you'll be liquidating your equipment to pay off your fine. It ain't worth it.

As for your own property, no one can stop anyone from treating their own lawns. But if you are doing so for pay, you better be licensed. I turn in EVERY ONE I come across. The fine averages $2500 or so for the first offense here in Texas.

Contact your local ag dept and ask them for guidance....

8. Petr51488

from NJ

do you have to be a certain age to get it? How do i take the test? Do they mail it to me? Is it really worth going through all of this for the lisence?

9. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

:) Say Boy, i said....... say boy. Didnt you read what these kindly gentlemen told you to do? THEY SAID CALL THE DEPT OF AGRICULTURE IN YOUR STATE.
    I assure you the nice lady there can reply to all your questions.
    And While we all admire a youngster with enthusiasm, and an entrepenurial spirit.
    I bet your parents were glad when 8 pm came, your irritating son.;)

10. scotts 4 step program apply too much nitrogen at the wrong time, and very littly slow release n!!!!!!!!