Scotts annual program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jmm46, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jmm46

jmm46 LawnSite Member

What is everyones thoughts on using Scotts annual program for applications to residential lawns?

2. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I use the same program, it gets the job done, but I would like to find a type for less money, larger bags, or off brand.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Those combination products are priced through the roof. And things like a granular pre-emergent in the spring can yield very sub-par results.

That being said, if you don't want to get into spraying - you don't really have too many choices...

4. Burkhart Lawn Care

Do we have any other choices?

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That all depends. Are you licensed? Are you willing to do more than just spread granular fert? There are many possibilities. But they might not be in the direction you're trying to take your biz.

Scotts, though, is a ripoff. Kinda like Nike. You're paying extra for the name. Lesco and other such places sell the exact same types of blends - and for much less than running to HD and paying for it...

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Of course!
    -Get a pesticide license if you don't already have one
    -Go get a professional spreader if you don't have one, like a 'Lesco'
    -Get a decent sized sprayer (100-200 gallons) for your truck so you don't have to spend bucco dollars for granular weed-n-feeds that sometimes work and sometimes don't. Or you can think about a Perma Green rider maybe, so that you can run round the yards on a motorized spreader with a boom less sprayer.
    It all depends on your lot sizes, budget, and preferences.

Purchasing liquid weed control wholesale + buying SCU fert wholesale instead of the 'Scotts' program at Lowe's or wherever
    will end up saving you boatloads of money as you grow!
    Honestly, If you want to grow, there's no getting around it. Your competitors will s-q-u-e-e-z-e you on price until you're forced to find ways to save money like this. So you may as well start here.

7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

if you have the right prill size, apply correctly, there is nothing subpar about impregnated fertilizer blends

8. Marcos

I agree.
    If you're having breakthrough problems with crabgrass or other annuals even after doing the 1st granular combo round correctly, it's usually because of one of the 3 following reasons:

-the turf wasn't dense enough to crowd out the invaders in the 1st place
    (maybe should have been renovated the prior fall)

-the pre-emergent barrier was cracked, or cut by deep soil 'gouging' when edging along sidewalks & driveway, or otherwise dry soil 'cracking through' the barrier (NOT WATERING)

-incorrect mowing (usually too low) during the early to late summer

9. Burkhart Lawn Care

:dizzy::dizzy::confused:I can do more, but I just don't know enough about the fertilizer biz. Scotts program makes it simple for me to apply. ITS BRAKING THE BANK!! I need to find some cheaper product.
    We do not have a Lesco store here. This may be crazy but can you order on line?

10. Marcos

On the internet it shows a store in Nashville.
    I guess that's pretty far away, though...

Man you've got to have an agricultural supplier in your area!
    Your town has, what, 80,000 people or so?

Have you checked your yellow pages under 'fertilizer' or 'farm supplies'?

(No kidding- Try/B] this!)
    Chase down a Trugreen van with a dalmatian :laugh: on the side and ask the (more than likely) semi-qualified tech who's driving it where in town they get their 'incidental' supplies (emergency weed control and fert etc. when their 'truck' doesn't show up at their shop on time)
    Those guys honestly don't care!
    They'd just get a kick out of talking to the 'newbie' in town, and probably would be more than happy to spill their guts about things like that ( showing off a little along the way, of course :cool2:)