Scotts Anyone?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FIREMAN Q, Aug 5, 2006.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

I am new to this business and I am looking at ways to create more income. I want to start offering a fertilizer program. I know this will keep the lawn looking great as well as keep it growing.

I was thinking of just using the Scott's 4 step program. Due to my lack of knowledge in the subject i figured that would be the easiest thing to do. Plus i figured that if I throw around the Scott's name it may make the sale a little easier.

My other option is to go to my locale Lesco dealer (same town 10 min away) and just follow one of there programs.

Looking for some advice from the pro's. What do you think my best option is?????

thanks in advance

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Do this without a license and you will be OUT of this business real fast!

3. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Get licensed if you going to promote the fertilizing end of your business. When you are licensed you are able to get better and stronger fertilizer formulated specifically from your area. Don't get the Scotts crap. It's secondhand mass produced junk available to the general public to make Scotts a buck. However I have read their lawn care book and found it to be very well done and accurate (besides all the sales pitches). Anyway, their steps program is logical and the timing of the fertilizing is correct. So they have their research straight, it's just that alot of their fertilizer is crap.

4. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

oh and try to avoid telling them exactly what you use, you might pull in one day to a dead lawn because they thought they would do it themselves.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts = overpriced / over rated. Don't get me wrong...It is excellent product, but is not formulated to give the best (all around) results. It is generally formulated for Joe Homeowner that wants green. As far as micro and macro nutrients, it is slim to mediocre (just below medium) at best. We grow grass that is thicker and healthier than ANY Scotts lawn could ever be.
    Another factor is that while Joe Homeowner doesn't mind paying the big bucks for his same ingredients that come in different packages at much lesser costs, it ould be and is impracticle to pay this much for naterial and actually make any money at it.
    While Scotts is a different formulation (the way it is made), it is still the same ingredients found in all other ferts. Nitrogen is nitrogen, phosphorus is phosphorus, and potassium is potassium. I don't care what brand of bag it comes out of. The difference is the amounts of each, the form it is in, and the coatings for slow release (related to the forms it is in).
    The idea - is to have good analysis' for the lawns containg the right amounts of stuff. Hint: You can't BUY good fertilizers in the stores like HD, lowes, etc. They don't package any decent ones for the homeowners. like I say, they give you green and a LITTLE bit of good stuff. Why? Nitrogen (the "greener upper") is the cheapest element there is to fertilizer. Abut the best analysis you can find around here at all the stores is the perverbial 28-3-3. This is SOOOO common and available through several fert. companies. (You see it all over).
    Now, Scotts DOES make a different series of fertilizer that even includes slow releases, but the product is so cost prohibitive that there would be no way of providing it as a service (unless you find a 1 in a thousand customer that is so ignorant and just doesn't vare about the costs).
    I hope this info helps.

6. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I sub all of my fert and squirt stuff out to Scott's Lawn Service and they give me a lower price than they would give the customer. They send me a bill and then I charge the regular price and I make money and I am not there when the apps are done. If I see weeds when I am there mowing I call them and they come out and spot spray for free. It works out well for me not having to maintain a license and I still make a profit off of the customer. It may not be for everyone but right now it works for me. It is tough to get licensed in the state of TN....

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

people jumping into this industry with no knowledge or experience on how, or what to do...for gods sake man, just reading regular post here would tell you that you need to be licensed to offer that type of service...:)

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Now I don't know about that.

It appears in some states, that you do not need a license to merely apply fertilizer. To mix/make/offer your own blend, yes, but not if you're purchasing it as is. Possibly a seller's permit to re-sell it to a customer, but not a license. Pesticides of course are a different story.

I'm still researching it though.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes you can drop fertilizer in some states-- But you need a lic. to do any kind of weed control-- and the Scotts 4 step has that.

10. Wonder Women

Wonder Women LawnSite Member

Do you need a license to apply any type of Organic Fertilizers?