Scotts Employment

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by xray45, Jul 8, 2007.

1. xray45

xray45 LawnSite Member

Hello to all,
    I am looking for some advice. I am in the market for employment here in pittsburgh pa and got a call on friday from Scott's Lawncare looking for a lawn service technician.
    I have little fertilizer or pesticied experience.
    Has anyone worked for them or know of anyone that does or did? What are they like to work for?
    Also, as areas in the country differ what is the pay like starting at one of these companies?

Just curious to see if this may be a good opportunity or not.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Ray W.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Don't worry cuz they will train you. Two of my former employees work for Scotts Lawn Care here in central Iowa. These two former emplyees have been thoroughly trained (by me). Both guys operate Permagreen ride-on units (even on lawns as small as 2000 sq ft). I recently talked to both.......I will not say if they are satisfied about the work they do. That's all I want to say. Best of luck.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Worked there for 5 years, I can safely say every year it got worse and worse. The job isn't for everybody. If you don't mind not having free time from February - November while making 1/2 time over 40 hours NOT overtime while piling up 50-60 hours of work a week. I say give it a shot. Don't worry about being trained. They had me train a guy for a half day, then they came and picked him up and he was pushing fert on his own. He passed the licensing test a few weeks later and was on his own.

4. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

How can they pay 1/2 time for over 40hrs?

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told it was "lawn care industry standard" to pay 4 bucks an hour for overtime.

If you can handle the no OT pay, and working just about every Saturday because you will rarely hit branch goals then this is the job for you. If you hit your bonuses you will make decent money and get "trained" in the industry.

I'm sure all branches are different, but it was all about production where I worked.

6. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

Many years ago, I worked for a company called Barefoot Grass. They paid us 1/2 time over 40 hours as well. It was nice come the winter time because there would be weeks where we only worked 20 hours, but still got paid for
    40 hours. Scott's sounds a lot like how things were run at Barefoot Grass. Frank is right, it's not a job for just anybody. Plan on working a lot of hours, including Saturdays. If you are willing to put forth the effort to hit your goals, the pay is good.

7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Pgh and would be glad to help if you want to give me a call. PM me if interested.

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

There are overtime exemptions available to employers in the agriculture sector. Chemlawn using it back in the early 1980's.

xray. We all got our starts somewhere. If the management team seems OK & you're interested in the Green Industry as a career, give them a shot. Whether you learn to love it or hate it is irrelevant. You'll have learned something either way.

9. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

I think they considered it "agricultural overtime" its the same way they pay farmers for the work they do during the season. Say a farmer works 18 hour days during harvest, they only work the typical 8 hour days in the winter working onmachnery and whatnot. Somehow Chem Lawn and Scotts have adapted to that way of paying their employees. The branch where I worked up until last year I was expected to hit $1200 every day. If i didnt hit those numbers I was sent back out on the road until I did. That was the way it worked for everybody. So it's not out of the question to work 12 hour days. So you need to understand by mid morning on thursday through Saturday you'll be making 1/2 of what your hourly pay is. Clever trick, it keeps employyes working for about minimum wage, but they're expected to bring in the same numbers. Expect them to start you at $12 or so, working 20+ hours of overtime your pay turns out to be something like $7.50 an hour or so. There are bonuses so thats good. I'll be honest the training I got when i first started was excellent. They seem to put less and less emphisis on training now. You usually ride with someone once and then you need to start billing.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

They go through employees very fast around here. Extremely high turnover rate, but that is typical for this industry.
    And personally I think that "Agricultural exemption" stuff is a big steaming pile. It's a way to cheat employees out of OT. Check with your local dept of labor. Every state is different, but I know that stuff doesn't fly here in CT. OT is 1 and 1/2 times hourly pay. Running a mower or pushing a spreader on a residential lawn is NOT agricultural work.