Scotts fert now 40lb bags not 50lb anymore Lowes/HD

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Feb 1, 2009.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I like to see what Joe homeowner's fert prices are and noticed that the Scotts "50 pound" bag is now a 40 or 42 pound bag. Wasn't it a 50 pound bag in the past? They claim it STILL covers 15,000 sf. Crabgrass control is $57 and Summerguard 28-3-8 (no grub control) is $63 per bag. I remember the N being 32. Smaller bag and less N covers the same sq:confused:
  2. lawntennis

lawntennis LawnSite Senior Member

They were always 50 lb bags before. Were these prices at Home Depot, Lowe's or any of the big guys? If so it's nice to see the home owner's price going up considerably.
  3. mikesturf

These prices are from Lowes, my HD did not have fert out yet.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts fertilizer, their homeowner lines that are a powdery "homogenous" blend NEVER came in 50 lb bags. Their bag weight was always dependant on what the blend was in the bag. Unlike commercial fertilizers that are always 50 pounds and then have varying coverage, say between 12,000 and 18,000, Scotts bags theirs to cover XX square feet, (5K, or 15K).

Now I know that Home depot sells Lesco fert, and I've seen it in 48lb. bags before. There was some other brand as well that shrunk their weight, don't remember the brand though. Yes, the fert prices on the consumer end has gone up as well. Most people when buying one bag or two aren't going to notice much though.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If memory serves me correct then I agree Scotts never had the standard 50lb bag for retail sale. I seem to remember a 30 lb bag of weed & feed to cover 5,000 sq ft. But then I have never been a Scotts fan.

The point I would like make was on the Nightly TV News. Seems food packages are getting smaller while the price remains the same Manufactures are packing 28 oz in place of 32 oz quarts. Paper towel rolls are now shorter Etc. For years now the deli dept has priced cold cuts by the 1/4 or 1/2 pound because of sticker shock. IMHO the economy has not hit bottom and it will take a very long time IF it can be turned around and brought back to former levels.

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct, when I buy a case of beer now, it has 20 bottles now vs. the 24, they use to have.:cry::cry:
  7. mikesturf

I buy a giant bag of Doritos, open it and 2/3 the bag is air.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think scott's has ever been 50 lb. bags, if I remember right their small bag is 18 lbs., and their large bag is 42 lbs. approx..
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, they sell 5k bags and 15k bags.... the weight changes based on the formuation of any given fert or control. Same thing with the seed... they sell it by coverage. As far as I know, that hasn't changed.

What will be interesting is how much MSMA and CAMA they will put on the store shelves this year. Some of that stock can sit in a store for 3 years.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They do the same thing with groceries. A half gallon of ice cream is no longer a half gallon. It is now 1.75 qts.. There was an interesting news story a while ago that told about some of this creative packaging. You have to really watch the oz. amount and such on the packaging. Many of these products - like mustard jars while looking the normal size, will have an indentation on the bottom of the jar, so the actual contents is less.