1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

scotts fertilize?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swn, Mar 11, 2001.

1. swn

swn LawnSite Member

Hello my name is Steve Newman. I live in western KY. This is my first post and I would like to say that I really enjoy all the valuable information I have read so far. This is the first year I will be using fertilize. I am planning on using Scotts 4 step program. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions?
  2. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Welcome to Lawnsite.

The 4-step program is an expensive, but good, retail product. It will be hard to make a decent amount of money
    unless you can charge a higher amount than your competition.
    Try and find a Lesco dealer or other fertilizer supplier.
    You'll get a premium product at 1/2 the price of Scott's.
    check yellow pages or do a search on this site.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

YOU ARE BEING SMART.Later on you can modify but scotts
    4 step is a good fairly safe way to go.
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

the only good scotts product that has worked well fo me is there new micro(something) fertilizer that stuff green up a yard that was alomst dead last year and lasted for about 2 months.
  5. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Scotts is a safe expensive way to start. Like everyone else said start with that and then go and check out what else you can find.

Welcome to LS.

6. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I, too, was going to use Scott's, but like was said, it is expensive. I found a Lesco dealer only 20 min. from where I live. These guys are more than willing to assist you in getting started and have a great product for 1/2 the price.

Good luck.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would try to find the Scotts Professional mix which is pelletized. If you are certified those who supply the Scotts can get it for you.

The mixture you will purchase off the shelves of your local retailer are a mix of pellets and dust. I think you will find its easier to track and get more uniform results from the professional blends vs. the homeowners mixture.

I would recommend Lesco as well. Another major supplier you could check with is United Horticultural Supply.

Good Luck this season!
  8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto what KutnKru said. Especially about the part of being certified. You cannot just go throwing down "weed & feed" and pre-emergent without licensing. Straight fertilizer sure (at least here in PA). The scotts 4 step would require you to be licensed.