Scott's full page ad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcs, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mcs

mcs LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Nice awakening this morning when I was reading the local newspaper, Scott's has a full page ad. In the ad it states they will test your lawn and offer recommendations concerning fertilizing, and spraying for trees and shrubs.

I see this as their opening salvo. Once they have their foot in the door,I fully expect to see them advertising lawn service.

To make matters worse, as I was driving down my street a Scott's van was coming toward me.

I have decided to not purchase any more Scott's products. I have heard that they own several other companies, just would like to know who they are. Any of you know.

Mark (one of several)

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Scotts vans have been all over my area. How can you give an estimate for fertilizations with 12- 20 inches of snow on the ground?

3. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I saw my first Scott's Lawn care service truck in my area (West Central Florida), last week. He was doing granular and lo and behold he was using Lesco weed and feed. What gives?:confused:

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

"I saw my first Scott's Lawn care service truck in my area (West Central Florida), last week. He was doing granular and lo and behold he was using Lesco weed and feed. What gives?"

Makes you wonder who gets what from where:confused: LESCO= Scott's or is it the other way around.

5. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

mcs- you probably use alot of stuff from Scott's or their subsidiaries. They own miracle- gro, ortho and the rights to Roundup. They have their hands in a bunch of the homeowner/DIY lawncare products. Just wish they would stay with what they know and out of our end of the business!

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Scott's is now franchised out. (and doing rather well, I might regretably add). The franchise owners canuse whatever they like to apply on their lawns. The guy near us that owns his Scott's franchise uses Lesco, also.

7. progreen

progreen LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Interesting..

According to this entrepreneur.com, Scott's currently has 55 US Franchises.
    <hr>
    http://www.entrepreneur.com/franzone/details/0,5885,12-12---282320-0,00.html?section=profile
    <hr>
    Costs & Fees
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total investment: $86.7K-406.9K
    Franchise fee: $30K-250K

Ongoing royalty fee: 6-10%

Term of agreement: 10 years, renewable
    Renewal fee: Based on franchise fee

Qualifications
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Net worth requirement: $100K
    Cash liquidity requirement: $40K-60K

Business Experience:
    General business experience
    <hr>
    Also check out Scotts Franchise info.
    http://www.scottslawnservice.com/Plugins/PDF/franchise.pdf

BP - progreen

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

and those are outrageously high franchise fees and royalties!!!!!!!

My wife runs our Heavenly Ham franchise and we pay them more than we make. Total Bull Sheet.:mad:

9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Which is better ?? The Scott's weed and feed, or the Lesco weed and feed ?? I've only used the Scott's. What about the price difference of the two?? Thanks...

Lou :cool:

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Neither...the only way to get the results is with liquid.