1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scotts L2048 leaving stringers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tsh1773, Aug 7, 2003.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

I have used gators, vipers, and deere blades. They all leave stringers. I have to cut twice. Not very efficient. My Scap wb does not leave stringers with original blades. The gators and vipers left stringers out of the box. What other options do I have other than replacing the mower or using the wb exclusively? I can't afford a new mower now. Any one else having this problem?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know what a Scott's L2048 is. I'll assume its a Lawn Tractor?

1) Buy a digital tach/hourmeter and determine your engine RPM's. Adjust accordingly to engine (???) manufacturer specs or slightly higher, while mowing.

2) Make sure deck is level, tires inflated properly and check deck pitch. 1/8" to 1/4" front pitch is ideal.

3) Slow down!

4) Buy a commercial rider.

Also, if its a JD deck ( I think they made the Scotts brand) check and see if there is a High LIft blade available for it. That or cross reference it to a comparable size blade from another mower. Blade length and center hole size is what is most important.
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

first make sure you have the correct leanth of blades, i.e. go buy new ones from the dealer, then check that your deck pitch is correct, at least .25" lower in the front then the rear. then make sure the under side of the deck is clean (no heavy grass build up). i wasted money on the gators i'm using now, cant wait until they need replaced, the i will get the factory dixie chopper blades back on!!
  4. tsh1773

Yes it's a lawn tractor made by Deere. It's hard to cross reference with another blade since is has 3 holes, 2 outer for attachment and 1 center for nothing. Meg-mo said he could make me a set for $160.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Do #'s 1 and 2 above and make sure the blades are NEW and sharp. RPM's drop for various reasons, and deck pitch gets out of wack real easy on tractors.

Does the blade MOUNT to the spindle with TWO bolts per blade? Never seen something like that!

Another question. Did it cut good when it was brand new?
  6. tsh1773

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

That is OEM JD blades, NOT gators or any other fancy named blades.
  8. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with my lazer at the start, but I lowered the rpms and slowed down and it seemed to help.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Scott's lawn tractor = slower blade speed >>>combined with >>>
    Gator blades = less vacuum and lift.
    This combination is probably a compounded problem.
    Remedy (possible) Try High lift bades and perhaps slow down a bit, however, if you have a good lift, you may ny need to slow down so much. Also, of course as was said earlier, make sure blades are sharp, and check deck pitch.