scotts lawn care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heather, May 16, 2002.

1. heather

heather LawnSite Member

I have just seen a new scotts lawn care truck in my area.Has anybody heard anything about scotts. I have yet to see them do any work though. Not sure if they are cutting or just doing fert. Just wondering if they are another Tru green. You know-come in and play lawn grab! :angel:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They seem to be doing alright, and gaining alot of business in this area, but yes, they are another Trugreen. They socked the N down super early this tear, so all their customers had the first green lawns on the block. (This kind of fools evrybody into thinking they must be better - the general custome public is ignorant when it comes to this stuff) However, yes, they are another Trugreen. Straight N, cheapo fertilizer. Oh, and do they spread Scott's "quality brand" fertilizer? Absolutely NOT They use Lesco! Now, this is NOT saying Lesco is s cheap fertilizer, by no means, because in all actuality, it is very high quality, but what I meant by cheapo, was the straight N, and nothing else.

3. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

I think they also do aeration and seeding. They do not cut or dethatch.

Big G

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Scotts Lawn Care uses Scotts products.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Gee, that's odd. I've seen quite a few trucks around here on several different occasions, and they NEVER had Scott's products in their trucks. Always loaded down with Lesco 46-0-0. Besides that, Scott's doesn't manufacture their round two products such as the liquid Pre and post M. I know they use "Scott's" brand spreaders to spread the stuff, though. Maybe it's a regional thing.;)

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Weird.

Their literature all says they use Scotts.
    They are a fertilizer manufacturer, I wonder why they would use their competitors product?

46-0-0? just the bottom on the barrel.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

7. I am with Runner on this one.

I have looked in thier vans to see lesco bags with Scotts lables over the Lesco lable or just plain old Lesco bags.
    It says Scotts on the sticker lable but Lesco on the flip side of the bags, hummmm makes you wonder.

What else is funny is they don't sell a 50# bag of anything.

Scotts prides themselve on the small partical ferts so Kent why do they use large partical ferts?

Scotts is now TGCL junior. Same marketing plan, same applications, same no brain applicators.

To make it even worse the vans here in St Lewy use Lesco spreaders hahahaha.

Even better I have seen the lesco truck at thier shop unloading pallets of fert.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

LAWNGODFATHER, I have seen them over on the East side. My Brother-n-Law works for Chem-Lawn and was complaining how they are steeling his customers. So they must be takeing a chunk out of Chem-Lawns Profit.

Soupy

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Think about it - they have SUCH an advantage in the marketing realm. Their name says so much. When you hear the name Scott's, it kind of brings to mind a certain "familiarity" stigma that we, as Americans can all relate to. It's kind of like that "Good ole' Breyers ice cream, or "Coca-Cola". With Scott's, it makes us want to think of nice green drop spreaders with those familiar orange wheels that we were all used to seeing and knowing as kids, Then, we think of the nice lush family lawn that is pictured on the label under their well known typesetting for their name. They convey a message of "homeliness", (not like as in a homely person,) but as home and family life. This is a WORLD of advantage, just in itself. We have a private LCO around here, that HIS name is Scott's Lawn Care. I hope they don't go after him and try to make him change his name. I remember Orkin took this approach some years ago, but I don't think it went over quite as well, because I think more "lawn loving" families probably related them to "pesticides" and "bug killers" more than anything else. I don't know if they even do fert.s anymore. They don't anywhere around here, anyway.

10. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like i need to change my business name. I didn't think they were going buy Scott's lawn care. If so then i prob should have registered my company name a few years ago.

What do you guys think? My company name is Scot lawn care. spelled with one T.

Scot