1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Scotts lawncare pricing info

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnpi, Mar 15, 2003.

1. lawnpi

lawnpi LawnSite Member

Does anyone have pricing info on Scotts for 2003? They just rolled into town and are marketing like crazy! The quotes I'm hearing seem REALLY high! Any advice on how to fight these guys? Funny thing, they called a friend of mine and told him they could make grass " magically" appear where there is none, just by doing 3 basic apps, no seeding!!!!

2. Nichols Lawn Care

Nichols Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have last years list they mailed to me in there phamplet .
    5,000sqft 40.40
    6,000 44.10
    7,000 47.80
    8,000 51.50
    9,000 55.20
    10,000 58.90
    Says Weed Control Treatment is FREE
    Each additional 1,000sqft $3.70

Hope this helps you.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts is an old and Powerful name. Scotts purchased CENTREX's Lawn routes and are marketing very heavy. I would like to think even Truegreen is running scared. I will not use Scotts products because if my customer sees me using Scotts products I only re-enforce the Scotts name. Here in Florida Scotts is using Lesco and Howards fertilizer.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Why would you want to fight guys whose quotes are really high?!

Seems to me we have our hands full fighting guys whose quotes are really low.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I would go broke charging $3.70 per thousand. But here in Zone 10 we have different environmental pressures than zones 4 - 5.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Scott's is charging 3.70 per 1000 sq after 10,000 sq'. Not 3.70 for only 1000 sq', we would all go broke if we charged like that.

7. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

It appears that they are charging 3.70 per 1000 with a 21.90 stop fee 5k minimum.

8. CCLAWN

CCLAWN LawnSite Member

It is true they are raising the board on pricing....Thank God....But then comes the discounts. Even though the typical 10k lawn may be charged at $300 to $400 per year, the first year may be 30% to 40% off. After that, it goes up to normal. I have never seen HOJO fert from them.... Interesting

They are probably the only thing keeping lescos head way out of the water.

9. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

What I think is funny about their marketing literature is that if you look at the pictures really close, the before and after pics seem to be backwards. In other words the shurbs and flowers are all smaller in the after pics than in the before pics. Makes you wonder?? hehe

10. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

This is a GOOD thing...to see a national competitor going out with minimum prices in the $40 range.

With lawn mowing, there's always some yahoo in a rusty pick-up who will mow a $50 lawn for $20. That's probably why you don't see a national name brand outfit doing lawn mowing (though I heard Chemlawn/Trugreen is getting into residential mowing biz).

It's AMAZING what a little licensing requirement does for this entire industry.

Right now, I'm mowing, sodding, trimming shrubs, mulching beds, planting flowers and doing lawn weed/feed. Basically a full service lawn maintenance offering. Just starting out, but I can almost predict that a year or two from now, I'll be doing only weed/feed. That's where the money is...mainly due to the licensing requirement.

All my opinion,
    DFW, TX