Scotts LS $42.00 for 1 acre

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kootoomootoo, Oct 4, 2005.

1. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Get a call from a guy 2 weeks ago wanting lawn care treatments.
    Lawn is 1 acre, in really poor shape no color and full of weeds. Hit it heavy with fert. 7 days ago ago and turn up today to hit the acre of weeds. Scotts LS had been there 30 mins before. Invoice $42.40

Notes said ............Lawn has excellent color and todays treatment will kill the weeds. ......................Guess they were spraying water the other 4 apps.

Tryng to get hold of Mr. to find out what the deal is.

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

just curious....why didnt you treat weeds when you did the fert?

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

will be interested to hear the answer to this, but I'll venture a guess.
    A) Mr. contacted you, Mrs. called (by) Scotts'...oops
    B) The weeds were not dying from the fert application, so they called them out behind you
    C) unauthorized app

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

We had rain for two days ........ rain = fert apps. $$$$$ ..AND I wanted to hit it heavy with UREA without risk of burning.
    (Don't need the lecture about UREA)

it has been too windy to spray.

Mr. contacted me
    Mrs. was on Scotts Invoice.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Green Utah hits a winner with guess A. Now what are you going to do, Who keeps the job?

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

For 42.00/acre I wouldn't want the job. That is close to my minimum.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

42 dollars for an acre? I must be missing something. OK I guess if is just water then they are charging for time on the job towing a hose but even then 42 is cheap.
    I only use granular fert so there is no possible way I can compete, it cost me more than that in materials alone. I get more than 42 for a 7000 sq ft city lot.

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

My guess is that they sprayed the wrong lawn, and just figured the salesmen messed up again.

9. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts gave my parents a price quote of $160.00 for their 1acre lot. Must be huge price fluctuation from state to state.

10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It always depends on the foo...uh...sales person that day. $42.00 will buy you maybe 3000ft if I'm in a good mood and its an easy pull.