Scotts Max is irresponsible.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguyland, Apr 7, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I just saw an ad for Scotts max weed killer, fert, and crabgrass preventer all in one product. It says to apply when weeds like dandelions are actively growing. Who can tell me what's wrong with this? It's pendimethalin .81%, 2,4 D and 25-2-5- fert.

And wait, there's more! It's not supposed to be watered for 2-3 days after applicaton. Problemo numero dos.

What kind of moron chemists do they have there?

Thank you class!

2. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

i see no problem.....

3. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

i had a gut try to sell me starter fert it was something like 32-4-8 ???
    with dim. i asked if the picture on the page(the product) was correct he said yes (ginormous inhale) he was stuttering when i was threw. maybe he worked for scotts...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They might as well put some grub control, some insect control, and a few other out of time ingredients that are completely out of synch with each other. These companies don't vare. they market it and push it out to the public, and they in turn dump it into the ground. And people get concerned about the amount of pesticides being wasted and unnecessarily used. Just like their grub control that lasts "all year long". you see this crap on the shelves and even in the aisleways of these stores long before and way long after the stuff works. the public doesn't know that, though. As long as it comes in a pretty scotts bag, it must be the ultimate stuff to use.

5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I guess that would work, but you still would want to get it down early. probably wouldn't get real good control on broad-leaf weeds. but if I get a new customer that is full of dandelion's they get pre & post emergent weed control!

6. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's the deal for those that don't know....

For the pre-m to be effective it has to go down way before the proper time to treat broadleaf weeds, therefore the weed killer is not effective and polluting. Or, the pre-m would be too late if treating the weeds properly. Either way one is wasted. Then, on top of that if you wait three days to irrigate the pre-m can volatize, hence more waste and less effective. Hey Scotts- you guys are idiots. Thanks for making our water more polluted, ya big jerks.

7. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

You are totally wrong! Maybe you use preemergent for different reasons than the rest of us do but we use it for Crabgrass control hear and it can be applied effectively from Jan 1 to about April 15th. We see dandelions and other broad leafs peak in that time frame so I fail to understand your argument! as far as volitization I suspect those dumb manufactures have counted on a certain amount of volitization in there formulation process. I would suggest you visit a manufacturers research farm to understand the large amount of research and field trials that go into a product release, The EPA will not allow a product to come out nowadays that would pollute the environment through the correct label application. I spray all of my spring apps but I think it is a good combination for the granular guys.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Well I beg to differ. You are in the warm season transition zone. Whereas Lawnguyland is in New York were cool season turf is grown. In January in cool season area is generally covered with snow. Application of any fertilizer or weed control would not gain a single thing. Growing season in the cool zone will start anywhere from mid march to mid April. It all depends on geography.

9. GrowinGreeninc

GrowinGreeninc LawnSite Member

I indeed pointed out that maybe his situation was different , but my point was that his painting this as a bad product was wrong. Maybe it is for him, but as a general rule weeds germinate as the soil warms no matter where you are. The germination timing for crab and broad leafs will just be pushed back compared to here. But to say the scientist are morons is wrong!
    By the way i grow 95% cool season grass here. mostly tall fescue, the only warm season is on athletic fields.

10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I would never buy a product like that, but it obvious why the product isn't supposed to be water in for 2-3 days.... You have to give the 2-4,d a chance to absorb before you wash it off the leaves.

Locally, Lowes is selling a Scotts 30-3-4 with 1.21% pendimethalin for $40 a bag. This is a terrible product choice for my area unless it is the second half of a split pre-emerge application. A lot of people buy it because they like the Scott's name. The Co-op sells a Prosource One 5-5-20 with .38 Barricade for $21 a bag. Even though the Prosource One product is a much better choice for this area during Jan, Feb, and early March, they don't sell a lot of it.