Scotts no rev when hot

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bridgez71, May 8, 2006.

1. bridgez71

bridgez71 LawnSite Member

I just got this thing from my boss-it's got a 16 hp Kohler,42 in cut. model # 42589x8.He didn't have the manual nor any idea when he bought it,from what i've seen,it's a late 90's or a early 2000?Case and point,when hot it has no reverse,fwd is ok as long as your level,i glanced over the trans don't see a way to check the trans,it says peerless on the bottom.Have any of yall heard of this or know what type fluid it uses? I'm a gm tech,not a mower tech preciate it fellas.I believe (from what i've read) that this is the john deere made scotts?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That unit was built in 1999 by Murray with the Scotts name on it. The hydro. takes VT Synthetic oil, The Tecumseh Peerless part # is 730228 quart size. There should be a yellow screw in plug in the top to add oil but I couldn't find the proper level listed on my sites, Most other hydros. maintain a level of 1 to 1 1/2" from the bottom of the threads at the fill hole. You may want to check the dump valve and make sure it's closed all the way and the belt for slippage also.

Good Luck

3. bridgez71

bridgez71 LawnSite Member

thanks alot I'll check it out.I got an email from Scotts/john deere after i sent them the same info, they told me it was a model s1642? didn't sound right to me,preciate the help.Any chevy questions i'd be more than happy to help.