Scotts or lesco Which is Better?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rich's landscaping, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Rich's landscaping

Rich's landscaping LawnSite Member

Just wondering which Fertilizer is better Scotts or Lesco or is there a better one to use. I started last year in july (kinda Late) so this will be my first year from the begining to end. :confused:
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on the deal and the dealer. TSC makes Lesco fert. Both have many different types. If you mow the same grass you will probably want to go for at least 50 percent slow release, especially if your properties are irrigated. Think about zero phos if soil tests show no need on average. Try to match what the soil needs based on soil tests. Try to avoid clumps and dusty products. Not sure if you need lime in your area.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer Lesco products, personally.
  4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Comparing Scotts to Lesco is like comparing apples to oranges. You're can't just compare brand names, you've also got to compare the percentages of slow releasing properties, amount of nitrogen, amount of phosphorus, amount of potassium, sq. footage that each bag will cover and of course, price.

Unfortunately, there's many people out there who only look at price and don't take into account that sometimes the more expensive product will be better in many ways, including the ability to get more sq. footage out of a bag, thus their cost per 1,000 sq. ft. goes down. Applicators need to educate themselves and look at the whole picture before they should make that decision.

I've used many different varieties of both brands many times over and at the end of the day, any nitrogen based fertilizer will green up a lawn very nicely. They're both good fertilizers.
  5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Totally agree!

I think you can even take this a step further! I do look at the analysis and SCU etc...but what about QUALITY!!!!

QUALITY is worth a lot to me!

I also like to look at the following:

Consistency of prill size
    Plastic bag thickness (this may sound stupid...but Lesco's plastic bag is VERY THICK and keeps product fresh).

I am not saying that Scotts fert has quality issues...but just some things to look for when comparing different fert sources!

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I like fresh
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I guess I should have explained!

It keeps it dry and looks like the day it was packaged!

I have used cheaper product in thin bags and it seems like it sucks up some moisture etc!

Thick bag means better protection!
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Plastic bag fertilizer usually has laser punched holes to let the air out--otherwise it stacks like footballs. Impossible to stack a pallet.

Lesco usually has a row of about 6 to 8 holes along the left side. Has anybody else noticed this? All brands? What about insecticides?
  9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have never noticed the holes on the side I guess...but I LOVE the easy open bags with the perf opening!

Guess I need to pay better attention as I have handled a ton of them!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  10. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

All bags I have seen are vented, otherwise you can't stack them. Exceptions to this are the bags diazinon 14G or Nemacur came in. If those were vented, you could not get near them without SCBA.