Scott's Organic?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JimBab, Mar 30, 2008.

1. JimBab

JimBab LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the Scott's organic lawn fertilizer? I don't know how new it is but it is the first season I have seen it. I believe it is a 11-2-2 mix. Is Scott's finally entering the organic world? Jim

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

11% N is pretty high for organic fertilizer. As has been stated before, organics is about building the soil and sensible horticultural practices. Scott's is all about 4 step program of selling you stuff to put on your lawn.

In organics - when your lawn has 'arrived' you will need very little if any inputs. Scott's will not encourage that :)

We got less than a foot of snow left to melt and we stayed above freezing last night. Soon I will post a photo of the 0 input lawn. The thickest weedfree part is under a tree.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The highest N I've seen organically is 14% and that was soy based. So, 11% is doable. Depends on what it is.

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Lycine is 14%, CGM 10%, fish is 4% N
    Scotts uses feather meal, basically crushed feathers from chickens. Often referred too as toxic waste in the industry. They wrap synthetic ferts around the base feather meal product.

5. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Bill I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying Scotts adds synthetic fert to its feather meal??

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Feather meal isn't really bio-available for months. Is it?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Look at label.

Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food

And the MSDS

8. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think potassium sulfate qualifies as synthetic. :)

A bit of info on meat meal

10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

potassium sulfate is also OMRI listed