Scotts treating customers who have cancelled

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmc456, Mar 17, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone run into cases where your new customers cancelled last fall with thier old company (Scott's) and still received applications in the spring. They came and put down fertilizer and pre-m without authorization.

Any suggestions? Since they put down pre-m I assume I won't be able to seed here in a few weeks as planned.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes- I ran into that problem last year with 1 or 2 new customers.
    It seems like they just keep renewing contracts and applying fertilizer if you ask them to or not.

About 4 years ago I had a maintenance only customer that I was trying to get for fertilizer also.She is in he 80's so I gave her a price and she said she will have me do it if I call Chemlawn and cancel for her.So I call them and tell them she is my grandmother and she can't afford it anymore and I will take the time and do it for her they said they don't want to lose her as a customer what can she afford to pay and I said ZERO.

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, It happens a lot. Had 2 this week alone. The crazy part is the customer feels obligated to pay them?!!! They should pay me.

4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't had it with Scotts yet, but we have this problem every year with TruGreen

Doug
    Austreijm Landscaping

5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

its a problem alright.
    I'm not sure why it happens, maybe its because they allow these things to fall through the cracks? Or maybe its because they know the majority of folks will pay them?

Anyway, we recommend our customers NOT pay them, we also tell our customers for us to 'guarantee' crabgrass control WE need to reapply that first application, then we schedule them for the end of the round.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the big companies try to strong arm u into a nother season and if u dont pay they put a collection company on u
    nice way to so business

7. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

What about the liability aspect of a company applying chemicals to your property when their services were cancelled?

I assume I would loose my license if I just went around and applied chemicals to lawn at random in an attempt to get more clients.

8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Get used to it, LOL. Been this way for over 20 years. All the big guys, and some of the small fry, will continue apps even after cancellation to try to keep the client for the new season. I've been telling new clients for 20 years to ask for a letter of confirmation of termination of service from the former chemical company.

And the client must let me see the letter, so I know that the old applicator knows that they are finished. I explain to client that this is a common ploy, and I need to know that no other chemical apps will be done so lawn is not stressed.

If an app has been made after cancellation, client should refuse to pay bill. If they are harrassed, tell them to threaten to contact state regulatory office, because first app usually includes a pesticide (pre-em). And you can give them the address and phone of that regulator (of course, you are properly licensed, right? So you know all the contact info).

9. lawn_j0ckey

lawn_j0ckey LawnSite Member

if u look carefully at a TGCL invoice, it says that they are a "continuous service" so thats how they legally do it. its in real fine print though, it might be on their brochures too.

10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this problem with Chemlawn, and also with another local outfit. I havent had the problem with Scotts yet.

I also specify in my contacts that service automaticly renews annually. I did this because invoices for my packages go out in Feb, and a lot of people put them off as they are not quite thinking Spring yet, eventhough the first application is only a month away. I also specify that I require notice of cancellation. I dont want customers thinking that nonpayment means cancellation. If they want cancelled, then call and cancel.

I would never, ever service a property that has cancelled. I wonder though whether some of these people never bothered to cancell their service. Maybe they just think "Hey I didnt pay you for this year so you should have assumed". I could see how this would create a problem for a big time application co.