1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Scott's Turf Builder and new seed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Boltzie, May 19, 2003.

1. Boltzie

Boltzie LawnSite Member

I planted new grass in early April. I was told not to place any crabgrass preventer because it would keep the seeds from germinating. Now that the seeds have germinated, would it hurt the young grass if I apply Scott's Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control?

Also, I'm going to re-seed some bare areas and was wandering if the Turf Builder with Plus 2 Weed Control would hinder the new seed's germination?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I believe Scotts with Halts (pendamethian?? I think) is the preemergent crabgrass preventer. Scotts turf builder plus 2 is the weed killer. I am curious as to why you just don't spot spray the weeds or better yet just pull them. If you want to use it, read the lable and see what the requirements are for new seedings. I would rather just use a 10-10-10 starter fert and hand weed the weeds until the fall. Give it a good chance to establish. Then take care of the weeds if they are that bad.