scotts weed and feed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Mar 7, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

can you put this down in florida without being certified. This lawn has a lot of weeds and would like to improve it. thanks for the help

2. Lizard Lawn Care

Lizard Lawn Care LawnSite Member

This is a sore subject with me....... No you can not put down scotts weed and feed..... you can put down "fertilizer" but you can not put down any weed killer...... (this includes round up) If you are a home owner with absoutly no knowledge of herbacides.... you can put down anything at home depot.... but as a lawn pro....... only fert....

3. True Harbor

do people actually check if you have reg fert or weed and feed in your spreader?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, no but as far as being "legal" you must be a certified applicator to apply an herbicide for pay...

5. Necroshine

Necroshine LawnSite Member

Its best to probably not get caught ! I was talking to a lady who came in and bought some Round Up Pro from me the othernight , and started chatting about the work and whatnot. I asked her how long it took and where'd you go for your Round Up Liscense so, I could get a helpful hand with mine. She said she didn't have one and took off right quick.

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats right! Just dont get caught! After all only ~ 20% of the florida lco's actually have their certified applicator license anyway. Why not be like all the other bums out there? (no offense of course)

7. True Harbor

Its crazy though you have to work for someone else for 3 years. I think some sort of training course would work out better I just got into the lawn business cause I like working for myself. Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take to get my limited applicator license in florida. Thanks

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you were my competition, not certified, which is publuc knowledge on the web....,.... id turn you in, and get rid of you fast..... so sub it out, of get leget//////

.....its not worth the fines man.....

9. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see 3 years as crazy... I see it as a minimum. My husband worked for other companies for 10 years before we decided to jump out on our own.

No chemical applications are not rocket science and well maybe it shouldn't take a person 10 years before they make the leap but it does require knowledge and skill that just can't be learned from some sort of training course....there is just so much more to it than you may realize :waving:

10. greenscapeman

greenscapeman LawnSite Member

Is this something that is required in every state? I have yet to find an LCO in KY that has any herbicide certification.