scragglers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scorpioxx, May 7, 2008.

1. scorpioxx

scorpioxx LawnSite Member

I have a toro 48" proline walkbehind.....I'm leaving sporadic grass blades uncut...whats my problem???? dull blades??

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

First and foremost this will happen if your blades have a rounded tip. The tip of each blade is what does 99% of the cutting. Also blades should be sharpened at least 2 to 3 times a week or more depending on how much grass you cut.

Second you should raise the deck up and check for grass build up under the deck. That can cause stragglers to stick up.

[​IMG]

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Dull blades, wrong kind of blades, grass build up, etc. If it is sporadic then it should be something minor. The fact that your asking could it be dull blades means you don't know if your blades are sharp or not. Keep the deck clean and the blades sharp as part of your normal routine.

4. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

blades are dull had this problem put new standards on my cub cuts good as new.

5. scorpioxx

nice blades...yeah I pretty much feel that the blades may be dull....have almost 20 small lawns going on my second week cutting with sharpened blades.... obviously I'l l have to rotate my blades...also how about that spray stuff( sorry for I do not know the brand name ) that you add to the underside...does it work ( preventing build up? )

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup I bet they are dull now. Keep em sharp, deck clean and that proline should do a very nice job. They are nice machines. :drinkup:

7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Hay Pro what kind of blades are those ??

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If it was cutting well with the sharpened blades and now is leaving missed grass you may have discovered the problem Watson.:)

a.jpg

9. scorpioxx

I know ....brilliant I am...duh!!!!!*trucewhiteflag*

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have less accounts then you and I sharpen once per week minimum. I cannot stand stringers...do yourself a favor and buy 2 sets of blades minimum. Keep one set sharp and rotate them out.